Takes and trash talk from both ALL sides of the NHL's most obscure PATHETIC* rivalry

* Thanks, Kevin Lowe!

Thursday, April 24, 2008

Now I Have a Reason to Dislike Vancouver

(Didn't think I could get enough material for 3 posts in 1 day about a team that hasn't been playing for 3 weeks? Well, you thought wrong!)

So Vancouver hired former agent Mike Gillis to run their professional hockey team. Why should we, as Kings fans, care? Well, for 2 reasons:

1) He was Mike Cammalleri's agent. Hmm, I wonder who it was that convinced Cammalleri that he was worth $6 milion a year and almost torpedoed the Kings.

2) We now have an inexperienced GM with probably little experience in talent evaluation in charge of a team that has a plethora of defensemen but is in need of offensive help. We also have a player that could use a change of scenery and is a former client of said inexperienced GM. See where I'm going here? You should, it's pretty obvious.

Let me be the first to congratulate Willie Mitchell/Luc Bourdon on joining the Los Angeles Kings. Good luck in Vancouver, Cammy.

7 comments:

MB said...

And don't forget, our now disposed GM traded Dan Cloutier to the Kings. You're welcome.

I wonder if he had a middle seat on his flight down there?

Earl Sleek said...

Now I Have a Reason to Dislike Vancouver

Hm, apparently so do I.

Just kidding, Alanah.

Anonymous said...

That blog post kind of sums up in a nutshell the hate-on many fans seem to have for the Ducks. And I still don't get it.

The thugs-r-us reputation i still don't get. the Ducks were 16th in "times short handed" last yr. they led the league in penalties, but that was mostly due to fighting major by parros. They won the cup through hard work and a good transition game, nothing to do with "gooning" it up. With the exception of pronger's clockwork brainfarts, the whole thug-r-us thing was blown way out of proportion by idiot canadian talking heads who saw the ducks for maybe 10 games the whole season and had to come up with some fancy spin as to why the senators got so thoroughly trounced on in the finals.

This yr, they led the league in times short handed, and most ducks fans can tell you, a good 70% of them had nothing to do with being "thugish" or "physical". they were just stupid brain cramp-esque penalties.

The craziest thing is, if you compare to last year, the Ducks were shorthanded only 2 less times than last year. (410 in 07, 408 times in 08) Apparently everyone else in the league stopped taking penalties .... It's very strange.

Earl Sleek said...

The thugs-r-us reputation i still don't get.

Well, don't forget that this team also re-signed Brad May and outbid everyone for Bertuzzi. Almost by definition, this is "thugs-r-us".

I mean, I even titled my blogpost, "Ducks sign Bertuzzi to reinforce 'thug' stereotype".

RudyKelly said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Speaking for myself, I don't have a problem with the Duck's "thugs". The problem I have with the way the Ducks play is that they are by far the cheapest team in the league (although closely followed by Nashville and Calgary). Every time I watch them it seems like they have a team edict to run opposing teams goaltenders. I have no problem with screening goalies, or mild contact if they are out of the crease, but the Ducks consistently run, push defensemen into, and jab goaltenders with their sticks. This is the main reason (among many, many others) that I think Corey Perry is a piece of shit. On top of the goaltenders, they love to try to get away with cheap shit when the ref's aren't looking (punch to the back of heads i.e. Getzlaf during first round this year). I think this must be a coaching mandate.

Earl Sleek said...

The problem I have with the way the Ducks play is that they are by far the cheapest team in the league (although closely followed by Nashville and Calgary).

Don't forget Philly!

Every time I watch them it seems like they have a team edict to run opposing teams goaltenders.

Well, I don't know what to tell you. It's a formula that beat out some of the best defenses/goalies in the league last year (MIN, VAN, DET), so until it gets explicitly penalized, I'm all for exploiting the rules.