Takes and trash talk from both ALL sides of the NHL's most obscure PATHETIC* rivalry

* Thanks, Kevin Lowe!

Thursday, October 30, 2008

Outsourcing: Cartoons from Sweden

If you recall, this past summer BoC had a brief series called Letters from Switzerland from our generous friend Markus (will it continue? only Markus knows for sure), where we received some overseas updates about some former NHLers. In that same spirit, I present a guest submission from reader Kyle J., a guy I can only assume hails from Sweden (to be completely honest, I'm not sure about this, but based on a few phrases of broken English I've corrected, I'm comfortable being presumptuous). Well, I'm never a guy to turn away free artwork, especially if it's potentially from Sweden!

I am, however, a guy who (for better or worse) will regularly publish e-mails I get.

Dear Earl Sleek.

I have been wanting to find a way to mix my passion for graphic arts and hockey together for a long time. I have finally figured out how. A Graphic Novel of Hockey(Comic book). However I would like to showcase them where people could see them. And reading your blog since the Season We Won the Cup I know that many people in fact read your blog. I have really enjoyed your cartoons. If you wouldn't mind letting me post these on BOC I would very much enjoy some feedback so I could start up on my own or possibly work together on some.

Thanks

BOC Reader of you and Rudy,
Ducks Fan and Hockey enthusiast,
and Fellow Artista,
Kyle J.
Just take a look at the awesomeness below, inspired by last week's Ducks win against the Toronto Maple Leafs (featuring an ill-advised goaltender switch by Ron Wilson for the shootout):


Quite literally the best artwork this blog has ever seen.
(Click image to enlarge.)

I don't even know where to start. The Terminator version of Nik Antropov is killer, the classic Ron Wilson media staredown is spot-on, and I want to run and hide from that George Parros glare. Basically, Kyle, I give this a hearty standing ovation. Outstanding.

One of my side goals here at BoC is to semi-legitimize the notion of internet cartooning, even though I'm pretty much just a hack. Well, fellow hacks, the bar may have just been raised, and I'm pretty excited to see that. Plus, now with Switzerland and Sweden on the BoC contribution list, I can't wait to see what our German or Finnish readers will do to top this.

[1:15 pm edit -- Oh boy did I blow this one. I've now been informed that Kyle J. is from Southern California, not Sweden. Well, this won't be the last fact-checking error that Sleek will ever make, but it is a doozy. Also, a new version of the picture was submitted with "Foliage" instead of "Foilage". Sorry for the mix-up, KJ.]

Go Ducks.

14 comments:

Ang said...

When does the next edition come out?? :)

Earl Sleek said...

When does the next edition come out?? :)

I can't say for sure. We're at the mercy of overseas generosity, but I hope we get some more!

It really plays well into Sleek's lazy streak.

Anonymous said...

I love it. Can we get more Leafs ones? :)

Earl Sleek said...

Can we get more Leafs ones? :)

Consult your neighbourhood NHL schedule-maker.

I'd guess next year, unless you want to meet up in the cup finals!

Alexander Dubcek said...

The artwork is top notch, to be sure.

I was confused initially by the "Foilage" problem, until I reasoned that dear Kyle was like Marge Simpson and mistook "foilage" for "foliage." Once I figured that out, I was impressed by the clever subtlety.

But, wow, unbelievable work on this one. Good show.

Anonymous said...

Awesome pictures!
don't even know where to start. The Terminator version of Nik Antropov is killer, the classic Ron Wilson media staredown is spot-on, and I want to run and hide from that George Parros glare. Basically, Kyle, I give this a hearty standing ovation. Outstanding.

I hate to be "that guy", but you know he didn't DRAW this, right? Not taking anything away from him at all, but he used either ComicLife or Photoshop to "Comicize" the images found online.. Great work though!!!

Earl Sleek said...

I hate to be "that guy", but you know he didn't DRAW this, right?

Yeah, I sort of knew it, but still, you're talking about rendering techniques that won't be available to me for another dozen years.

Regardless of method, it's still going to be my desktop wallpaper for a good while, I'm guessing.

Mike in OC said...

Bad ass.
Is that terminator, or is that supposed to be the red light flashing from his goal he scored reflecting off his eyes? either way, the whole thing rocks.

I love the Donnie Darko bunny goalie mask at the end.

Nice work Kyle.

Julian said...

I guess it's out of the pressbox and back to the basement with those kind of fact checking skills, eh Sleek?

Oh well. Better company around these parts anyway.

Earl Sleek said...

I guess it's out of the pressbox and back to the basement with those kind of fact checking skills, eh Sleek?

No doubt. Score one for the MSM.

I've probably set us bloggers back a whole year now. :)

Well, it's cool. Kyle isn't dismayed, and that's the important thing, perhaps. His next project (maybe I should fact-check this) promises to be based on last night's Ducks win.

Instead of "Cartoons from Sweden", I'll just subtly switch it to "Cartoons about a team that uses talent from Sweden".

Julian said...

Shameless Pahlsson reference.

Very nice.

jamestobrien said...

We have little use for your cowardly, mortal notions of "fact checking."

Julian said...

I'm with you fellers.

Doogie2K said...

Well, I think Penny Arcade pretty much legitimized Internet cartooning on their own ten years ago, but good on you for bringing it to the hockey realm.