Takes and trash talk from both ALL sides of the NHL's most obscure PATHETIC* rivalry

* Thanks, Kevin Lowe!

Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Bertuzzi, The Karate Kid and Forgiveness

Cobra. Fucking. Kai.

Aside from linking the Hockey Orphan for the Kings, Stars and Sharks this should be the last bit of shameless self-promotion for quite a while. And, if I do say so myself, it's a damn doozy.

In order to break up some of the monotony that is Tuesday, I'm starting up a tradition on Cycle like the Sedins called "Bertuzzdays."

Basically, it is a weekly tribute to the most shameful and sometimes hilarious moments in hockey history. This week, naturally, begins with a study of The Todd Bertuzzi incident.

Then quite unnaturally, it devolves into a troubling comparison between that Vancouver Canucks team and Cobra Kai from "The Karate Kid." Eventually, "The Jesus" makes an appearance and all hell generally breaks loose. It does end with an intriguing question, though: what would Bertuzzi have to do to gain your forgiveness (or at least your respect)?

Hopefully, you'll find this Bertuzzday as entertaining as I find it psychologically damning.

6 comments:

Jibblescribbits said...

I wrote this on March 12th last year.

If i had to amend my feelings, i might say that I may not truly forgive him until Steve Moore finally gets his day in court. But rereading my own thoughts I still find myself with the same feelings.

hockeychic said...

Hmm, I don't think Bertuzzi will ever be able to gain my respect. I try to forgive people...just not sure I'm there yet with Bertuzzi and if I ever will be. I consider him a cancer and it still makes me sad. Before the incident, the Canucks were one of my favorite teams to watch, he ruined that. Then he was on the Wings which was horrible for me. I wish he would just retire, he is a shell of his former self and really more of a distraction than an impact player at this point.

Mike in OC said...

To "gain respect" of the fans in general, he would have to get back to the top of the league in points again.

Just like Terrell Owens in Dallas, with out the success on the field he is just a loud mouth idiot that nobody likes.

Score 15 TD's and take "America's Team" to the playoffs and he is the top WR in football. (I still can't stand him though)

If Bertuzzi were a 50 goal - 125 point player, people would get back behind that guy. Especially if he were scoring for their favorite team.

If Bert scored 40 goals last season I would have forgotten all about Moore, trust me.

Earl Sleek said...

If Bert scored 40 goals last season I would have forgotten all about Moore, trust me.

I feel like a guy who has already forgotten Moore; I certainly didn't hold that against Bertuzzi last year.

No, the only reasons I hate Bertuzzi are because of his salary and of his play last year. His murderous past doesn't even factor in.

Anonymous said...

I'm a fan of Bertuzzi,

He punched someone who did not want anything to do with him.

Yeah he went about it the wrong way, however, if Moore hadn't cowarded as soon as she felt the punch and went down, allowing everyone to trumple him, he might be playing still, or maybe not, did you even know he was a hockey player before this happened?

I didn't.

Go Bertuzzi!!!!

jamestobrien said...

Yeah, there's definitely a hypocrisy among sports fans where winning can be the ultimate balm. Sad, but true.

Considering the fact that he's earned such a salary and his best days are behind him, he should have retired this off-season.

Then he could dissolve into the Sports Infamy Bermuda Triangle with Barry Bonds, Mark McGwire, Marty McSorley and the corpse of Ty Cobb.