Takes and trash talk from both ALL sides of the NHL's most obscure PATHETIC* rivalry

* Thanks, Kevin Lowe!

Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Ducks Gameday—The importance of a good dentist

Detroit Red Wings (7-1-1, 2nd in west) at Anaheim Ducks (5-5-0, t-5th in west)
Ah, it's never felt so good to be back at .500


Well, I don't know if it was a lucky mix of positivity and poetry (Poetrivity!), but somehow the Ducks pulled off a nice 4-game sweep on their road trip, to nicely recover from their 0-4 season start. There's still plenty of things to improve on for the Ducks, but I'm still at the point that I care more that they are getting points than worrying too much about how they're getting them. Suffice to say that it was a fortunate road trip (really? only the third time ever a team has swept eastern Canada?), and it was extremely helpful to score the first two goals in each of the first three games.

But probably the one event on the road trip that probably shouldn't be overlooked was Ryan Getzlaf's trip to the dentist. Getzlaf had a virus removed from his gum that kept him out of the game in Toronto, but apparently the virus was adversely affecting more than just his inner mouth -- his entire forward line showed improvement once the infection was removed from the lineup. Here's the top line's very-much-improved stats from the road trip:

C. Perry 4 gp, 2g-5a-7p, +4
R. Getzlaf 3 gp, 3g-2a-5p, +4
C. Kunitz 4 gp, 1g-4a-5p, +2

Recall that in the six games prior to that dental visit, that trio combined for 18 gp, 0g-2a-2p, -14.


I can only assume this resembles Getzlaf before and after his dental visit.
It certainly mirrors the top line's performance since that pivotal event.

I don't want to seem overly presumptuous, but perhaps it's time to schedule Brendan Morrison for a teeth-cleaning. Ten games in, and he's got 0g-1a-1p and a -5. Just sayin'.

------------------------------

Meanwhile, the Red Wings come into town with a 5-game win streak of their own, thanks to Denis Gauthier's questionable decision-making. Like Anaheim, Detroit's win streak seems a bit illusory as well -- three of the five wins have come in OT/SO, and over the streak they've allowed 3.6 goals per game, which is definitely uncharacteristic.

Here's one stat that definitely differentiates Detroit's win streak from Anaheim's, though. In 5 wins, the Red Wings have outshot their opponents by a margin of 41.2 to 29.8. In 4 wins, the Ducks have been outshot by their opponents by a margin of 25.5 to 37.8. Detroit's also 5-0 on the road this season, and the Ducks haven't won a home game that I haven't attended, so hopefully this battle of the last two cup champions provokes some inspired play from the web-footed ones.

Prediction: Nevertheless, the Ducks pull it out. Ducks 4, Wings 2. Goals by the two-time Wing killers -- the fabulous Niedermayers, Pahlsson, and Pronger. For your Red Wings angles, make sure to hit up Abel to Yzerman, Winging It In Motown, On the Wings, and HockeytownTodd.

[9:30 am edit -- I've just been informed that the Chief over at A2Y will be running a live blog over at his site tonight, and I've agreed to join in the comments there to take my lumps like a good Ducks fan should. Feel free to join in, defend Pronger's elbows, and enjoy a hearty laugh at the persistence of 18-month-old injury excuses.]

Go Ducks.

24 comments:

Anonymous said...

positive note: hey were winning and the top lines are scoring

negative note: ducks arent playing there "banging style" quite yet...the 4th line did a little bit and the results were grand...they pinned down there opponets...the top 3 need take notice..and remember thats how they won there cup

p.s.
I live with a penguins fan now...i lambasted him for not doing us a favor last nite and taking out the sharks..the sharks pushed them around last nite

p.s.s.
any chance earl u get last minute tickets to tonites game? id like a win thank you

p.s.s.s.
my new roomate has nhl 09...its sick..

Earl Sleek said...

the top 3 need take notice..and remember thats how they won their cup

Actually, the only line that's depressing lately has been the Morrison line. If the top line's scoring, the third line's stopping, and the fourth line's chipping in, I'm pretty happy.

And don't forget, it's still been a pretty turnstile-like run on the blue line, with Huskins, Klee, McIver, and Hedican all taking turns trying to be Pronger's partner. I liked Hedican all right in his Monday debut, though there were a few moments of confusion. I'm hoping he'll fit the O'Donnell role nicely.

I live with a penguins fan now...

Poor, poor Spade. That's horrible.

any chance earl u get last minute tickets to tonites game? id like a win thank you

There's always a chance, I guess, but the team had better learn to win without me. My wallet can only take so much Honda Center abuse.

my new roomate has nhl 09...its sick..

Hell yes it is. In fact, we may need a better word than "sick". It's like a yummy gum virus.

hockeychic said...

It will be interesting to see what happens tonight. Yes, the Wings have been winning but the goaltending has not been stellar (checked Osgood's GAA lately? YIKES!). Of course, the high scoring games make for their own brand of excitement. I'm hoping for a good, CLEAN game from both teams and a few psycho Hossa goals.

I hope the Wings killers all get the flu (but just for one night).

Earl Sleek said...

(checked Osgood's GAA lately? YIKES!)

He's on one of my fantasy teams, but he's at least outperforming Turco. Still, I'd guess Babcock puts Osgood on the shelf for tomorrow night in SJ -- I'd guess there's some Conklin in store for the Ducks tonight.

Of course, the high scoring games make for their own brand of excitement.

This is quite true, and I've actually been enjoying the Ducks playing some free-wheeling games in their quest for legitimacy (such as the 6-4 game in Montreal). I'm not too worried about either team getting their defense back in order, though; the season is early, and outscoring is a perfectly fine way to pick up points in the first few months.

Watching SJ completely smother the Penguins, last night (or any Minny game thus far), both teams have some sorting out to do before next spring, however.

I hope the Wings killers all get the flu (but just for one night).

"Flu" is way too specific. In today's secrecy-loving NHL, you have to wish an "upper body malady" on your opponents.

Anonymous said...

I like the way nhl has made power plays actually feel like power plays..the way the players react etc...

my new roomate turned my garage into a sports lounge..huge tv, hd tv..."NHL center ICE"(is that what they call it these days?) so i wont miss any duck games not shown on cable..plus a keg refrigerator w/ tap...i think i can put up with the peguin games all have to watch from time to time...

ill have to send u a picture of the garage..

tonite will be a tough game...

p.s. hey wheres the cartoon? need an og earl one...ill try to draw one soon

Earl Sleek said...

huge tv, hd tv..."NHL center ICE"(is that what they call it these days?)

That sounds pretty awesome. My garage will one day be an entertainment center, once I get my act together.

And yes, Center Ice is so addicting. I really need to cancel the rest of my non-hockey channels.

p.s. hey wheres the cartoon? need an og earl one...ill try to draw one soon

I meant to draw one, but actually had to take work home last night. Here's what I would have drawn, though, if you want to use your imagination:

Duck: "Man, Detroit. How did you avoid that nasty hangover?"

Wing: "Lay off the London and take plenty of Hossa."

Anonymous said...

How the hell does a dentist remove a virus? Does the CDC know about this technology?

Or are you hinting that Getzlaf is a cyborg, and he runs Windows?

Getzlaf Douchenator 2000: Alert. GD 2000 has encountered an error (Divide By Zero Points Exception) and must be shut down now.

Earl Sleek said...

How the hell does a dentist remove a virus?

Actually a pretty good question, but to tell the truth, I barely read either article about what actually was done. Basically I just pointed to the dental event to get out of writing another poem.

GD 2000 has encountered an error (Divide By Zero Points Exception) and must be shut down now.

God I love this blog. Getzlaf is no cyborg, but the final five Cylons have been known to lose hair.

Battlestar Getzlactica away!

Ang said...

Hate to upset your prediction, but Wings win tonight over the Ducks. Then are a bit wiped out over the work out they get, that the SHARKS eat them alive tomorrow night.

Now see with my prediction, I'm extra happy. Ducks lose, Sharks win.

GO SHARKS!

Earl Sleek said...

Hate to upset your prediction, but Wings win tonight over the Ducks.

Getting nervous about the .500 Ducks, are we?

I can't wait for the day when Sharks fans muster enough confidence to face a top team without hoping they're extremely tired or disinterested.

Gray said...

That day came and went for me a while ago. Do I get a prize?

Earl Sleek said...

Do I get a prize?

You've now been promoted to Ducks fan!

I kid -- but you do win a free trip to the dentist. Send me your BART receipt and I'll see what I can do.

BTW, I did get some good BART time this past weekend -- rode that thing from Walnut Creek to Mission/16th and back. Pretty slick system.

Gray said...

BART makes getting to and from the city so much easier. Parking in the city is like pulling teeth.
Painful.

(I tried)

brokeyard said...

I'd love to read the Live Blog but at puck-drop I'm going to be over at Anaheim Ice falling down all over the place like a moron.

Anonymous said...

Was browsing NHL game center to see what the fuss is about, and noticed this for today's game:

http://img522.imageshack.us/my.php?image=22isunknownhu7.jpg

Poor Marchant, not even the NHL knows who he is.

Anonymous said...

Now give us more water, beyotch!

No. Not until you learn to be more polite.

Earl Sleek said...

but at puck-drop I'm going to be over at Anaheim Ice falling down all over the place like a moron.

Heh, Brokeyard, I'll admit that I'm a shitty skater -- I've never played hockey in my life. No worries. I'll represent by my lonesome.

Poor Marchant.

Heh, nice find, but I don't know if I've ever heard anyone say "Poor Marchant" before -- the guys' made himself a nice NHL career for being a leprechaun and all.

No. Not until you learn to be more polite.

Don't cut off the water supply, dude. I don't want to go back to Coke in my Jack.

Ang said...

How can you hate Norcal? We have everything here that you could possibly want?? And more importantly, we are not in Socal! As to BART noise, you must be the only one who isn't plugged into music then.

As to water, no. You get too much as it is.

Earl Sleek said...

We have everything here that you could possibly want??

Well...








...except Stanley Cups. :)

Why do I have this feeling that I'd better start abusing that trump card a lot this year?

Ang said...

oh !! ... now that was low!!! and damn mean!! and ... everything else I could think of but am too nice to say and would probably be banned from posting again ... and etc etc!!

And anyways ... THIS!!! is our year!!! Sit back and watch buddy boy!!!

GO SHARKS!!!

Earl Sleek said...

Dentistivity!

Anonymous said...

let me go on record (as an anonymous) as saying that detroit is the dirtiest team in the league. their flopping and diving all over the ice is an embarrassment, and the fact that they score so many goals on their bs powerplays makes me disgusted. thank god we beat those fairies last night. really, detroit, YOU BLOW.

Anonymous said...

i second the dumbass and the octopus take

hey earl..i saw another pronger elbow find its target...but the ref didnt muahahahaha

getzlaf woke up...he played his game finally

where our pk? u need to investigate and write about why it sucks so much balls

Earl Sleek said...

hey earl..i saw another pronger elbow find its target...but the ref didnt muahahahaha

Yeah, that was a bit awkward with me hanging out with the A2Y liveblog crowd last night, but overall watching with Detroit fans was quite awesome.

where our pk? u need to investigate and write about why it sucks so much balls

I'm not too worried about it -- Detroit's had a near-40% PP over their win streak, so it's not too fair to just look at last night's stats by themselves.

Besides, I'm still in positivity mode. At this point I'll still pocket two points without worrying too much about how they were earned.