Takes and trash talk from both ALL sides of the NHL's most obscure PATHETIC* rivalry

* Thanks, Kevin Lowe!

Thursday, July 17, 2008

New NHL Schedule, Projected Winners and Losers

For the last three post-lockout seasons, each team's regular season schedule has consisted of 32 divisional games, 40 in-conference games, and 10 out of conference games. Starting this year, the new format will feature 24 divisional games, 40 in-conference games, and 18 out of conference games (essentially eight divisional games have been moved out of conference).

So I decided to take an overly-simplistic look at which teams might enjoy the new schedule, and which teams might not. Basically, this table looks at the results from last season, and shows where teams got their standings points. The last two columns project how those results would have looked in the new schedule, and what the point difference projects to be.


(click image to enlarge)

Teams that struggled in their own division will probably enjoy the new schedule; same with teams that dominated the opposite conference. Take a look at where your team stands, and feel free to comment on my lazy, overly-assumptive approach.

10 comments:

CWaycott said...

Look out JavaGeek, it's Sleek.

Earl Sleek said...

Heh, JavaGeek's still a world apart. That guy would probably account for the length of homestands/roadtrips, wind resistance, and time-decaying results.

I've got much more humble aspirations: a quick study that I could begin and end all in one workday afternoon. :)

PPP said...

You know what would be great? If you took the projected points and then told Leaf fans what the odds were of getting John Tavares :) thanks in advance!

Earl Sleek said...

PPP,

By my math I show the Leafs 40% likely to land Tavares, with four teams from the Russian KHL threatening with the other 60%.

Maybe I need to re-project.

Cheechew said...

Any list that has a New York team on the bottom is fine with me.

Earl Sleek said...

Yeah, the Rangers are definitely an outlier on this list. Consider:

No team took as many divisional points as the NY Rangers, and no team took fewer points outside of their own conference than the same NYR.

If those trends hold, they'll be campaigning hard to go back to the previous format.

Sherry said...

The Senators are projected to lose even more? I chose a good time to go to Europe.

And you also apparently have a lot of time on your hands.

Joe said...

YEAAAAAH

To hell with these retards that have run around for the last three years saying "OMG DETROIT HAS SUCH A HUGE ADVANTAGE IN SUCH A TERRIBLE DIVISION". Losing games against the Blues, Nashville, and Hawks will HELP them.

Those retards should really look at the way those teams play the wings. Especially the Hawks. The Hawks have been terrible, just plain awful, for 10 years, and yet still, they always seem to find some way to beat the Wings, or at least make them fight real hard for it.

Earl Sleek said...

"OMG DETROIT HAS SUCH A HUGE ADVANTAGE IN SUCH A TERRIBLE DIVISION".

Well, the advantage is undoubtedly true; I'd guess that the Central has had the fewest playoff teams since the lockout.

Whether that edge matters is another story. Detroit earns hard and easy points; while its schedule looks very appealing for other teams, in the Red Wings' case it matters very little to its points total.

They've been killing top teams with the same frequency, and that's really what matters.

Margaret said...

Did you notice that according to this chart,the number of teams to benefit from the new system and the number of teams not to is exactly 14 each way?