Takes and trash talk from both ALL sides of the NHL's most obscure PATHETIC* rivalry

* Thanks, Kevin Lowe!

Tuesday, September 16, 2008

A banner month for fake hockey

It's been a while since I posted on the 'ol BoC, but things are cranking up now. You know when the beauty of the NHL season is about to shine upon us when people start drafting fantasy hockey teams and the annual video games come out.

Tune in soon as I examine: is NHL 09 the best hockey video game ever? (Not certain if I'll get a definitive answer on that but I definitely think it's the most addictive NHL game ever)

Warning: do not play if you plan on being productive with your time

Anyway, I thought I should make note of my intensely BoC leaning fantasy hockey team in the first draft I've done this year.* Here's the Pacific Division guys who made my roster, with super duper in-parenthesis asides for no extra charge:

Ducks:
J.S. Giguere (expect a HUGE year without Breezy stealing a bunch of starts and the team not dealing with as much drama)
Chris Pronger (get those PIMs but don't get suspended Stompy!!!)
Scott Niedermayer (got him way late because of his semi-retirement 2007-08 stats)
Corey Perry (I really wanted Ryan Getzlaf, but I guess Corey flopping Perry'll do)

Sharks:
Evgeni Nabokov (couldn't choose between Jiggy and Nabby so I got 'em both)
Dan Boyle (seriously, my defense is frickin' stacked: Pronger - Niedermayer - Boyle - Wade Redden - Jay contract year Bouwmeester)
Milan Michalek (it would be pretty sweet if he'd finally have that Joe Thornton osmosis/Sergei Samsonov effect this year)

Sadly, no Stars, Kings or 'Yotes (although don't tell anyone, but I might pickup Phillippe Boucher if he looks healthy this year). But 7 of my 24 players are in the BoC. That's a lot of eggs in one BoC basket!

Oh, and the real justification for this post:

Fantasy Hockey Gary Bettman:

And with the 8th pick in round 24, The Avery Rule selects....

Todd Bertuzzi!!!!

Big Bert did not take well to being selected last overall in a 24-round draft

* By the way, this league had spots for the usual (C, LW, RW, D, G) as well as Wingers - Forwards AND Utility spots...I drafted 24 fucking players in this behemoth!!! Thank goodness for the Yahoo! Live Draft timer, btw - had no idea what I got myself into. Always read league settings kids.

Also, I dig the new yahoo draft setup, but I fear this will help some of the idiots in the league I always have with my old college buddies. I guess that's it for the days of getting Teemu Selanne type guys in the 10th round (sad panda face).

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Out of curiosity, who else is on that roster?

Earl Sleek said...

Welcome back, dude. I kind of love this time of year, when various hockey bloggers come out of their summer hibernations.

NHL 09 is un real. Argh! We may have to shut this blog down. Or I'll just have to start writing posts in between shifts when my coach is telling me I don't play well with my teammates.

jamestobrien said...

Haha, twist my arm, ksy92003, twist my arm:

The team is:

C: Eric Staal, Johan Franzen, Joe Sakic

LW: Alex Ovechkin, A. Tanguay, P. Elias, E. Cole, M. Michalek, Ryan Smyth, A. Kostitsyn and Todd Bertuzzi (phew!)

RW: Ales Hemsky (if I had Alexandre Daigle and Aleksey Morozov - and Alec Baldwin - I might just have every possible variation of Alex possible)
N. Zherdev, David "Patricia" Clarkson and Chris Neil (the last two are purely for PIM and are probably the most likely to be replaced)

D: Pronger, S. Niedermayer, D. Boyle, Redden and speedy old Bouwmeester

G: Giguere, Nabokov and Manny Legace.

Giguere and Nabokov were my second and third sandwich picks because goalie stats account for 4/11 spots in a 24 player league...talk about making goalies pivotal.

I have a lot of (probably asinine and useless) knowledge of fantasy hockey...would you kids like a few fantasy warm-up articles for your drafts?

Earl Sleek said...

would you kids like a few fantasy warm-up articles for your drafts?

Count me among the interested.

You can see over at Mirtle's site one of the leagues I'll be in this year, which is formidible to say the least:

Notables in the lineup

Blogger Invitational: Chris from Covered in Oil, Islanders Army, Japers' Rink, Matt from The Battle of Alberta, Dean Millard from Global Edmonton, Pension Plan Puppets, Greg Wyshynski, Sharkspage, Earl Sleek, Spector, Five Hole Fanatics, The Forechecker, Dan Tolensky, two other members of The Globe's sports desk and two Black Aces just to make things interesting. There are 18 teams with representatives from all over the place: B.C., Alberta (3), Toronto (6), PEI, New York, Washington (2), California (2) and Tennessee.


I'm going to get murdered, but it only cost me $20!

jamestobrien said...

When's your draft, Sleek?

Earl Sleek said...

That big one is on Saturday, Sept. 27th (a week from Saturday), so I've got some time.

18 teams drafting 20 players apiece. It goes deeeeeeep.

Kirsten said...

Man, that screen shot makes me wish I didn't suck at video games. Maybe I will try to play it anyway.

The last time I played a video game, I got my ass kicked like 80-0 at Madden.

Anonymous said...

NHL 09 is pretty freakin awesome. Am addicted to that Be a Pro Mode. I always feel kind of bad for Bertuzzi. Sure, he put some guy in a coma, but still..... Really, I can't think of any better justification. Meh.

Earl Sleek said...

When's your draft, Sleek?

I guess I ought to share the league details, also.

18 teams, H2H.

Positions: C x3, LW x2, RW x2, F x2, D x4, Util, G x2, BN x4, IR x4.

Stats: G, A, +/-, PIM, PPG, PPA, GWG, SOG, W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO

The rest is pretty Yahoo! standard (playoffs, league votes, waivers, etc.)