Takes and trash talk from both ALL sides of the NHL's most obscure PATHETIC* rivalry

* Thanks, Kevin Lowe!

Thursday, November 29, 2007

The San Jose Sharks Have the Worst Fans in Hockey


Couldn't they just give San Jose the loss and save everyone some time?

Right? Remember when they were winning at home all the time and everyone was saying how great their fans were? I do. I couldn’t go 5 feet without listening to some San Joseer bragging about how great they were and how San Jose fans are more cultured and understood how to support their team better than the fans in Los Angeles and Anaheim. Now that they have fewest wins at home in the NHL (along with 3 losses to the Kings there this season), that means that their fans suck now, right? I mean, it’s not like you can take credit when your team wins and then blame them when they lose, right? That would be crazy and illogical.* Tough break, San Jose.


***


How badass is Jason Labarbera? Lost in the Kings’ woes the past two weeks has been the stellar play of… Labs? Labby? This guy needs a good nickname. I prefer “Nolte,” after his profile shot, but that’s just me. I mean, the guy’s sporting stats like 2.49 GAA and a .917 SV%, and it’s not because of the Kings’ defensive play or anything like that. The craziest thing is that he’s posting those stats and still has a sub-.500 record. If I told you at the beginning of the season that the Kings would get good goaltending and still lose, what would you have said? Well, you probably would have called me gay, because you’re a dick. Fuck you man, I don’t even know why I hang out with you sometimes.

Nice game Jas- oh, I'm sorry sir, I thought you were someone else.

***

What do you guys think of Michal Handzus? I think he’s kinda getting dicked over. Sure, he hasn’t played great so far (although I think he’s picked up his game of late), but I saw that the guys on Versus said he was the biggest free-agent bust of the year so far. The guy is coming off major knee surgery and hadn’t played in a year! There are two injuries I accept in hockey: injuries to your knee and your head. I can’t even imagine how difficult it would be to walk confidently after wrecking your knee, let alone skate. I know he’s getting paid $4 million this year and that’s probably too much, but I’ll give him this year to get back into shape. If he’s leading team in penalty minutes this time next year then I’ll be first in line to flagellate the son of a bitch. (No, FLAGELLATE. Look it up and get your mind out of the gutter.)


***

I don’t really have any hard evidence to back this up or anything, but I’m convinced that Milan Michalek did vile things to Jack Johnson’s mother some time in the past. That’s the only way to explain Jack’s actions every time we play the Sharks. He tried to kill Michalek two weeks ago by jumping at his head, and last night he gave Michalek the mother of all face washings because Michalek… stood there? It’s nice to see Jack play with a little bit of an edge, but why is it only against Milan?

*My craaazy friend Megalodon thinks the Sharks aren’t playing well at home because they’re young and nervous to play in front of the home crowd. Sure why not.

20 comments:

Earl Sleek said...

I saw that the guys on Versus said he was the biggest free-agent bust of the year so far.

I'm not even sure he's the biggest free-agent bust in SoCal. Still, one thing you can say for Bertuzzi--at least his one goal from this year went past an actual goaltender.

RudyKelly said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
RudyKelly said...

Yeah, that cracks me up when people exclaim, "He only has one goal this year!" I think if I pointed out that his one goal was an emptry-netter, their heads would explode.

Earl Sleek said...

Funny post title, by the way, but I think it maybe has been too many years since the Kings faced the Red Wings in the playoffs.

Those are pretty much the worst fans out there, especially if you're going by the metric of "telling other fanbases how much they comparatively suck".

Anonymous said...

I don't think the argument about San Jose's fans being the best was about how the team had a great winning record at home. It goes back to the Cow Palace/ early- and mid- Shark Tank years when the team pretty much sucked, but they still sold out every home game.

That, and they seemed to understand what icing was and why offsides didn't result in a power-play, unlike places like Denver or Raleigh or Miami.

Their horrible home record only reinforces the Not Rightness of this team right now, methinks.

HockeyTownTodd said...

San Jose FANS .. ?
Lets don't forget they ran the California Golden Seals out of town.

It may only be a matter of time...

Earl Sleek said...

That, and they seemed to understand what icing was...

Yeah, back in the day. Unfortunately, nowadays even I'm a bad predictor of what is and isn't icing.

Megalodon said...

Rudy, it's never been so much that the fans help the team win, it's just that they sell out most of their games and the fans are loud.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?page=playerpoll060510

HP consistently ranks in the top five whenever they do these retarded player polls about loudest arenas or best fans or whatever the hell.

It's ridiculous for any fan anywhere to think they have anything to do with their team winning. We just have to remember the opposite is true too: it's not the fans' fault if the team can't win at home. Screaming doesn't put the puck in the net. If it did, Judas Priest's Rob Halford would lead the league in goals.


Man, that would be AWESOME!

Anonymous said...

I have a friend that is a singer. She's performed the National Anthem in San Jose in a game against the Dallas Stars. They had to warn her that the fans will boo every time she sings the word "star" in the song as a way to boo Dallas. Then let's not forget them booing the Canadian National Anthem when they played Edmonton in the playoffs the year that the Oilers went to the finals. Best fans in hockey?! I don't think so!!

Cheechew said...

I also think the "star" thing is funny during Dallas games. Turco was on Bettman's XM show on Tuesday and when asked the best places to play he specifically mentioned SJ since they always pack the building and it is a great atmosphere. I found that interesting and thought he would say the typical "Det,Tor,Mont."

Connie said...

I have to agree with Ruby on this. I've only been to the Shark Tank once and it was against the Kings. You can imagine the looks I got while wearing my Blake jersey.

Side note: the Shark Tank has some steep ass stairs. Wait, maybe it was more the fact that when you sat in your seat and leaned forward, you felt like you were gonna fall all the way to the bottom. And then you look up and see warning signs telling you to not lean forward. Lame.

DW said...

Does this mean that Kings fans have been the worst fans in the NHL since 2002? I'm glad you got excited by two road wins. Do you even remember what playoff hockey feels like? We do.

And megalodon is right. The Oilers started that anthem garbage. It doesn't excuse the Sharks fans behavior, but that is the truth...

P.S. Wings fans are by far the most annoying fans in the NHL. Hands down. If you want a rough time, go to any Raider game or Dodger/Giant game and wear a helmet.

Mike said...

You can imagine the looks I got while wearing my Blake jersey.
So let me get this straight- you're wearing the jersey of a sworn rival and you're mad about the LOOKS you got? I count that as point for SJ. You wear a Lemieux Avs jersey to the Joe and you're lucky to get out with all your limbs.

I plan on going to the Pond in March for a Sharks/Ducks game, and if I don't weather a few F bombs and gay jokes I'll lose some respect for Ducks fans. That's part of home-ice advantage as far as I'm concerned.

RudyKelly said...

See, this is why I don't mock the Sharks.

Connie said...

I actually didn't give a flying F what anyone thought of me. I hadn't been to an NHL game in YEARS and I was gonna wear whatever the hell I wanted.

Marie said...

He tried to kill Michalek two weeks ago

I thought Jack was going to take Thornton's head off. (or wait, was that during the second game we played in SJ this month?...they're all blending together)

I've been a fan of Handzus since we signed him and I think his play has definitely picked up as of late. He may not be scoring goals but that's because he's on the main PK line and not on the 1st scoring line with Kopi, Brown, and Cammy. Whatevs, I bet most of those analysts hit the hay before most of our games even start.

Barbs was freaking awesome on Wednesday night.

Bartcal said...

I believe they were booing a picture of Pronger....bad timing, still not cool and quite inappropriate, tho.

And I always wear my Sharks jersey in Anaheim when they play each other. Only time I do (just my opinion, but it bugs me to see people wearing jersey's for teams that aren't playing that night...one thing if it's a player's jersey now on one of the two teams playing, but if not, why wear it?)

Earl Sleek said...

Nine months after this was posted, Anonymous finally had the courage to speak up!

Anonymous said...

oh and when they booed the canadian anthem in san jose is was because edmonton booed the american anthem.so stfu you dont no anything your talking about,and yah sharks are number one in the west baby.to all the kings fans have fun not making the playoffs HAHAHAH!

GO SHARKS!!!!

Anonymous said...

Ducks homie