Takes and trash talk from both ALL sides of the NHL's most obscure PATHETIC* rivalry

* Thanks, Kevin Lowe!

Friday, November 09, 2007

BoC Gameday—Somebody's takin' the Pacific tonight!

San Jose Sharks (7-7-1, t-7th in west) at Anaheim Ducks (6-8-3, t-7th in west)

Hell yeah it's gameday, and even though I've spent the last month in a pretty steady whine, I'm optimistic. I don't know why, really. I've been to Honda Center twice this year and have yet to see a Ducks goal. Fortunately, they still serve liquor at the ol' HC.

Anyways, I'll be in Row B tonight, sporting the lucky green and needing a haircut (maybe a coat, too; weather's been weird here--haven't seen the sun for days). And I'll be dutifully reminding Roenick of his career goal total, so he can free his mind to concentrate on other things. Like which team he wants to sign with next summer, for instance.

The Sharks come in with a pretty ridiculous see-saw record. O-W-L-W-L-W-L-W-W-L-L-W-L-W-L. It strongly suggests that they are due for a win tonight, but that doesn't dismay me. If I were a Sharks fan, though, I'd start wondering what would happen if Nabokov didn't have to start all 82. (From this fantasy owner's perspective, though, I say "Go for it, Nabby!")

It's really funny, but despite both teams falling short of early expectations, one of them will be atop the Pacific standings tonight. JavaGeek quantified something I've been noticing on the out-of-town scoreboard. For whatever reason, there are 40% fewer overtime games happening this year than the previous three seasons. I suspect it means teams are getting better at holding leads, but in a more practical sense, it means that the playoff bar has been lowered this year--there are just less points being distributed. Last year it took 96 points to make the playoffs in the west; I suspect that number will be much lower this year.

Prediction: My predictions have sucked this year, so today's prediction is in the form of a cartoon--a duck kicking its way out of a shark stomach. Strong kick by Pahlsson.

Go Ducks.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

This game is like asking if I'd rather be punched or kicked. Sure, one is less painful but neither is an attractive option. Thanks to the bizarre scheduling, the week off has landed us in last place, even behing Phoenix!! Since we have games in hand on them, I guess it would be less painful for a Ducks win.

A less than enthusiastic go ducks (ugh).

Earl Sleek said...

This game is like asking if I'd rather be punched or kicked.

Don't forget the third option. If this game goes to OT, then you could be punched AND kicked :)

Stevens8204 said...

Ouch! The dreaded third option....what do you hold first?

Anonymous said...

"If I were a Sharks fan, though, I'd start wondering what would happen if Nabokov didn't have to start all 82."

As a Sharks fan, I am wishing we still had the tadnem from last season. Nabokov seems to perform much better when he isn't playing every damn night.

RudyKelly said...

Chris, you should always root for option 4: building collapse. Oh, except for Row B, where all occupants survived unscathed.

Earl Sleek said...

Oh, except for Row B, where all occupants survived unscathed.

Hopefully the line for the liquor stand gets protected too.

Then the Ducks could play their remaining home games in London: solid.

Anonymous said...

Don't forget the third option. If this game goes to OT, then you could be punched AND kicked :)


Thanx for looking on the bright side Earl.

Earl Sleek said...

BTW, I meant to mention this in the post, but today is BoC's 18-month birthday.

A year and a half old. Can't wait until it's potty-trained.

Megalodon said...

Judging by how our teams have been playing lately, I'm fairly certain that both the Sharks AND the Ducks are going to lose this one.

Then tomorrow, when the Kings play the Stars, the Sharks are going to lose that one too. Experts will be baffled.

The ShavedIce dude is right: trade Marleau!

Anonymous said...

Congrats on witnessing your first goal at HC this season, Earl. Hope there are many more to come, in the game and the season.

Patty (in Dallas) said...

I'm fairly certain that both the Sharks AND the Ducks are going to lose this one.

I've been trying to think of a scenario where this could happen, but unfortunately, there is none.

I'd settle for the Ducks to win, but Pronger decides hockey's no fun anymore and retires.

VeryProudofYa said...

3-1-1 with Schnieder in the lineup.

Second straight game they've erased deficits to earn at least a point.

also, if the playoffs started today, a team with a losing record would have home ice. neat.

Megalodon said...

Sharks are terrible. Trade Marleau. Bench Cheechoo. Somebody kill me.