Takes and trash talk from both ALL sides of the NHL's most obscure PATHETIC* rivalry

* Thanks, Kevin Lowe!

Thursday, October 04, 2007

Newsflash: Sports Blog Index likes BoC's blend of idiocy, non-idiocy


As first reported by Mr. Mirtle, some website we've never heard of has been dutifully studying hockey blogs in order to provide a top ten ranking, and stunningly, BoC placed fourth:
Sports Blog Index Top 10 Hockey Blogs:
1. Off Wing Opinion
2. James Mirtle
3. Pensblog
4. Battle of California
5. Barry Melrose Rocks
6. Bfloblog.com
7. Waiting For Stanley
8. Battle of Alberta
9. Japer's Rink
10. Behind the Jersey
Now I know blog listings are as fickle as a Conn Smythe winner in training camp, but according to Sports Media Challenge, the criteria used for this list were Influence (I assume this means "blogging under the influence"), Community (they must like how BoC writers never communicate with each other), and Relevance (oh yeah, by the way, the Ducks now lead all NHL franchises in shootout losses since the lockout).

I really should stress: there's a lot of better hockey blogs not on this list--we have probably benefited from a bias towards half-assed cartoons and Stanley Cup champs, but wow. We are big shits now.


...just in case you needed to see what I meant by "big shit"

Anyways, a serious congratulations to the other blogs on this list, and a bunch of thanks to PJ, Mike, and Rudy for their awesome contributions (and James for not posting anything harmfully irrelevant). Also we'd like to thank the state of California for being such a wasteland for hockey coverage; we couldn't have done it without you.

11 comments:

Kent W. said...

Congratulations!

Well deserved. Although, I'm a little puzzled on how Lowetide and Covered in Oil got passed over.

RudyKelly said...

You know, it's funny: they told Covered in Oil that they were going to be on there, and then at the last second switched them with the Washington blog. Strange.

Mike said...

RK, that's an interesting bit of data. Perhaps they were looking for representatives from widely varying locations? Might be one reason why Kukla (who I always thought had a high-trafficked site) wouldn't be there because Off Wing Opinion is.

Earl Sleek said...

While there may be some truth to geographical spreading, I'm pretty sure Rudy was making a Nylander/K.Lowe joke there.

Kukla (& friends), Lowetide, and Tom Benjamin, definitely belong in any top 10 list I'm making, but looking at some of the choices, I'm sure they were disqualified for not having enough lame jokes per 60 minutes.

I have no idea why Covered In Oil didn't get on that list, though. They're off the charts.

RudyKelly said...

I think we're so high because our lame jokes spread into the comments.

Earl Sleek said...

Speaking of lame jokes in the comments, where's my guy Drivel been today?

Patty (in Dallas) said...

Congratulations, boys!

Just don't start selling ads or hiring administrators or something.

Kevin Nishimine said...

Kinda interesting how the BoC got ranked ahead of the Battle of Alberta; wasn't BoC created partly in homage?

The circle is now complete.

James Mirtle said...

SportsBusiness Daily is really respected in journalism circles; my boss was the one who sent me the list, actually.

Earl Sleek said...

Wasn't BoC created partly in homage?

The circle is now complete.


Well, it was about 5% created in homage and about 95% created as a joke, but yeah, BoA is the inspiration. As for the circle being complete, I'd hold off on that. This is the only list I've seen that has BoC above BoA--including my own.

SportsBusiness Daily is really respected in journalism circles.

I don't doubt it. I only mock it because I figured that mocking respectable things is what got us to fourth on that list at all.

PJ Swenson said...

I think we all know why Battle of California was ranked higher than the B of A... Pronger.