Takes and trash talk from both ALL sides of the NHL's most obscure PATHETIC* rivalry

* Thanks, Kevin Lowe!

Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Hope

Last December, the Kings went to Nashville and got destroyed, 7-0. Cloutier was in net for the game and allowed 6 goals before spearing Scott Hartnell; it would be his last game of the year (and possibly ever) for the Kings. I was at my parent’s place for Christmas and watched the entire game. My Christmas was miserable. My brother had taped the game but I warned him not to watch because it would only upset him. He watched it anyway.

Last night’s game was amazing. The Kings chased Chris Mason, the goaltender who recorded the shutout last December, out of the game in the 2nd period. You’d like to think that the Kings will play like that every night, but around the time Derek Armstrong skated down the ice with a Nashville defender draped over him and then made a beautiful backhand pass to Raitis Fucking Ivanans, who buried it, I realized that it was just one of those games that you can’t really explain. I mean, last night I actually said, “You know who are playing really well tonight? Modry and Willsie.” The Kings just came out firing and the Predators were extremely flat. But there were so many times last year where we were on the bad side of these lopsided games that it felt nice to be on the good side for a change.

Going through a season like last year, where you go into it knowing that you are not going to be competitive, was rough. It wasn’t so much the games themselves as it was that you couldn’t see how things could get better. Do I think the Kings are going to win the Stanley Cup this year? No, probably not. Do I think they can win their next game? Yeah, I do. And that’s enough.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Seeing the game recap (we're in Europe and our Tivo/Sling Box setup didn't record the replay until the middle of today), it made me want to channel "Dumb and Dumber": Just when I thought you couldn't be any suckier, you go and totally destroy some team to restore my faith in you.

All right, in fairness, they played significantly better the three games before the Nashville thrashing. But still. This recent 3-1 stretch began right after I began to write off mentally trying to track down all the games each year. Now, I'm watching recordings of games where I already know the result, just because it's so awesome.

RudyKelly said...

You do that too? But I thought I was the only one... so this is what it feels like when doves cry...

Anonymous said...

I used to think the Ducks could win their next game too.

Anonymous said...

Kings need to score 6 on turco also! p.s. ducks fans are retarded, it's just simple science

Kirsten said...

That's some pretty excellent revenge. I love it when that happens for my team...just not TO my team. Way to kick ass and take names.

Marie said...

it felt nice to be on the good side for a change

Definitely agree. I was in complete disbelief when the Preds had a breakaway and Lubo broke it up and then the Preds had a 2 or 3 on 1 and Blake broke that up. When those two plays happened in such a short stretch I said, "Any other game, any other night those are goals." It was such a great feeling to finally have stuff go our way.

Unknown said...

I disagree. While Blake might normally go out of his way to play the guy with the puck and either go out of position or gets a penalty, Lubo routinely is in perfect position and rarely misplays an odd man rush. I think he is one of the best defensemen in the NHL with his stickwork (in the non penalty kind of way), something he has to do since he is like 5'2". I think everyone thinks of him as simply an offensive player, and I find that very offensive.

Anonymous said...

"p.s. ducks fans are retarded, it's just simple science"


Sorry Dowdrows, but it's true. The next episode of Sports Science on FSW proves it. I've seen the commercial.

Anonymous said...

"p.s. ducks fans are retarded, it's just simple science"

Hey! My mom told me I was "special"!

Earl Sleek said...

p.s. ducks fans are retarded, it's just simple science

This was a really good post; I nearly had written a counterpoint piece called "Despair", but then realized that even though it was a nice flipside title, it really didn't epitomize what I've been feeling thus far.

If Anaheim's results don't improve, I'll try to better articulate something next week.