Takes and trash talk from both ALL sides of the NHL's most obscure PATHETIC* rivalry

* Thanks, Kevin Lowe!

Friday, October 19, 2007

Earl sells his sAOL

Question: What do Earl Sleek and Dustin Penner both have in common?

Answer: We both signed offer sheets that way overstate our value.

Indeed, it appears there is a new chapter developing for me and my alias, as I have been offered and have accepted a hockey blogging gig at AOL Fanhouse. I actually spent a little while Niedermayering on this decision, but in the end, how could I really pass it up?

Seriously, check out this roster:

That's a pretty strong lineup; a pretty good who's who in hockey blogging. And really, that was one source of my qualm; do I even belong in such an all-star cast? (Feel free to tell me "yes"--I am nothing if not gullible.)

Well, I'm not too sure what the near future holds--I'll be submitting my paperwork this weekend. I figured I'd break the news now, though, as a heads-up. Here's how I think it might work out:

At the Fanhouse: I'll definitely be feeling my way around there a bit at first, but I'm hoping to settle in for 2-4 posts a week (we'll see). As for content, I'm still thinking about that, but I'm mainly going to stick to the Ducks, Kings, and Sharks--one of my key assets was that I could provide some California coverage. I'm going to bring an extreme western-conference bias, which works pretty well; since the unbalanced schedule that's pretty much all I've been watching anyway.

As for style, well that's the thing--Earl was brought on to be Earl. For sure there will be restrictions (I just watched an hour-long video on how not to get AOL sued, and it only covered photographs; I'll probably get to watch another one soon about cartoons), but I'll do what I'm allowed to do. It will be kind of strange to do a cooperative blog with structure, but I'm sure I can manage that. But seriously, if everyone could promise not to sue AOL over my first few posts, that would be real cool.

At BoC: Sorry haters, Earl's not leaving town just yet. In fact, everyone else on the AOL list is still keeping their blogs up to snuff, and I'm hoping that we'll see no real interruption in Ducks service here. I mean, part of what struck me watching that video was damn, I really enjoy the non-legalism we got here at BoC. They'd have to pay me a lot more to give this up. Besides, I'll need an outlet to put cartoons and drinky posts that are too racy for AOL.

It's really strange to think about how this all came together. Two years ago, coming out of the lockout, was when I first stumbled onto hockey blogs, notably Tom Benjamin, mc79hockey, Battle of Alberta, and others. I was sort of a lone Anaheim commenter back then, so when Mirtle started this karma-killing blog and I got nominated to be a voice for the Duck fans, well, who really knew how long this blog-joke would run?

In general: Hell, this may even be the motivation I need to go get Photoshop software, instead of my idiot's method of making graphics.

Anyway, a big thanks to those who stop by and comment. And of course to Mike, PJ, Rudy, and the gang for helping balance things out. It's for sure an honor to be invited, and hopefully I can deliver something worthwhile in a sanitized MSM environment.

So, anyone got any good ideas for a first post?

19 comments:

Julian said...

The West gets not respect and Earl is here to set the record straight... or some such.

What better way to make new friends at school than go in with a giant chip on your shoulder and pick a fight with the biggest kid in class?

and congrats Earl

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the new gig and good luck with it. I don't have any specific recommendations for a first post, but if you write anything that references Niedermayer and Selanne that says nothing more than "they still haven't made up their minds," I'm going to have you killed.

But I think it's really cool the way you managed to turn "Niedermayer" into a verb.

RudyKelly said...

Well that's just great!

Seriously, congratulations.

HockeyTownTodd said...

Congrats
1st post?
Your thoughts on Lemaire and Gretzky building teams they never wanted to play against.

Mike said...

Congrats, you sellout. I gotta read more bitter RK posts now?

Only kidding. Represent! West Coast!

Do you have to use your real name now?

Earl Sleek said...

Do you have to use your real name now?

God I hope not. They're not paying me well enough to get fired from the day job.

Besides, is there a cooler made-up name on the planet?

Charity said...

congratulations, Sleek! Hopefully, with blogging expanding the way it is, I hope that the various teams in question will start supporting their bloggers in a fashion similar to other well-known blog-happy organizations.

Go forth, and voice thy opinion! (complete w/ imaging).

best of luck! & plenty of kudos.

<3,
Finny.

Megalodon said...

Here's an idea for your first article:

GARY BETMAN EATS BABIES



Wait, did you say something about not getting AOL sued? I skipped past that part because it was boring.

Congratulations, dude.

Earl Sleek said...

GARY BETMAN EATS BABIES

How could I not write this now? I even have a "source". :)

Doogie2K said...

You could talk about how much you've enjoyed playing goal for Germany the last 17 months.

JP said...

Congrats, Earl, as long as AOL keeps jackasses like myself around, you're sure to look good.

Anonymous said...

Congrats! Look forward to reading you over at the Fanhouse!

Patty (in Dallas) said...

Congratulations, Earl! I'm happy for you.

I think you'll do a great job over there, but if it starts to affect your work at BoC, I might sue AOL.

Anonymous said...

Congrats Earl...you do belong in that league...all the rest of us look up to you.

Dirk Hoag said...

I have no clue what you should write for a first post, but an 80's-style pixel cartoon of AOL giving it to Compuserve might be a good start to impress the bosses.

Best of luck, and congratulations!

Bethany said...

Congrats Earl!!!

Kent W. said...

Wow, congrats on the new gig. I'll make sure to swing by and leave really disparaging remarks.

andy grabia said...

Congrats, Earl.

Wyshynski said...

Great to have you on the team, Earl. Now, are they paying you in old AOL Version 2.0 start-up discs too, or are those just the terms of my contract?