Takes and trash talk from both ALL sides of the NHL's most obscure PATHETIC* rivalry

* Thanks, Kevin Lowe!

Friday, December 07, 2007

Ducks Gameday—Blackhawks inspire new local artist

Anaheim Ducks (13-12-4, t-8th in west) at Chicago Blackhawks (14-11-2, t-8th in west)

In BoC comment-land, you know him as spade-in-victorhell. You know, the guy who can't be bothered with capitalization, punctuation or spelling, but somehow gets his message across loud and clear. Little known fact about Spade, though--this cat can cartoon!

Check out this submission, a web-foot kicking through a Blackhawk stomach! Ouch! That guy needs some fire water, pronto!

I don't want to get all mushy, but this is a very awesome development; obviously I'm a big proponent of zany cartoons, and I'd been wondering if the Sleek legacy would start rubbing off on the blogosphere. I'll warn you now--Spade's already got some fantastic cartoons to carry me through the weekend, and being a particularly lazy guy, I couldn't be happier.

---------------------------------------

Like it or not, Niedermayer's announcement Wednesday means that one Duck player is starting his last road trip of his Anaheim career. Interesting how the players responded to this Niedervelopment in the Buffalo game right after the announcement:

Andy McDonald -- 1 goal, 1 assist
Matthieu Schneider -- 1 goal, 1 assist
Francois Beauchemin -- 1 assist
Todd Bertuzzi -- 1 goal, 1 fight, on the ice for all four Anaheim goals

Todd Marchant and Sean O'Donnell both had solid games as well, and in fact, it was really the first time I've seen this year's Ducks really resemble last year's. It's amazing how good a team can play when guys are playing for their jobs.

Then again, the hard-luck Kings went on to smoke the Sabres 8-2 the next night, so maybe it was just a Buffallusion.


Your turn, Sharks.

As for tonight's opponent, one thing that worries me about the Blackhawks is how they have turned the tables on Detroit, a team that's murdered them in the past. The young Blackhawks are 4-0-0 against the Red Wings this year, after going 2-13-1 against them the previous two seasons.

I'm no Detroit fan, so why does that stat scare me? Well, since the lockout only one western team has dominated Chicago more than Detroit--Anaheim, of course. The Ducks have gone 7-0-1 against Chicago over the last two years. If the Blackhawks really have turned a corner, maybe this source of easy standings points is running dry, too.

Too bad they have to run into a Ducks team trying to play their way off the trading block.

Prediction: Ducks 6, Blackhawks 3. Everyone tries to keep their jobs--goals scored by Marchant, McDonald, O'Donnell, Beauchemin, Bertuzzi, and Schneider. Pahlsson kicks his way out of the Blackhawk stomach with six assists.

Go Ducks.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Holy crap. That California cartoon is priceless. I'll be laughing all day. Well done.

Katebits said...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

If I wasn't so occupied with sobbing while rocking back and forth in the shower, I might have to declare that cartoon the funniest thing I have ever seen, Earl.

Anonymous said...

Even I think that cartoon is awesome. Sent it to everyone here at work.

RudyKelly said...

Both cartoons are awesome, but shouldn't their be a misspelling in the top one for all the haters?

Anonymous said...

Is this the first prediction where Sami doesn't score a goal?

VeryProudofYa said...

"Is this the first prediction where Sami doesn't score a goal?"

Which, of course, means Sami's about to throw in 4.

Additionally, the expression on california remains as priceless as it's been since he made his rape-debut by emotionally scarring minnesota.

He's really giving it to that buffalo.

Earl Sleek said...

That California cartoon is priceless.

In case you missed it, this was all inspired by my State Rape cartoon last spring.

Is this the first prediction where Sami doesn't score a goal?

I don't think I predicted any Sammy goals the first five games this year (as he was injured), but even besides that, I think there was one or two games last year where I went off the Pahlsson path.

Don't expect me to remember which specific gameday posts, though. It's a rarity, but not unheard of.

Anonymous said...

o shit...that california cartoon...is definitely the best yet...hahaha....o shit im still laughing....glad to hear
ben can laugh at himself..hahaha..actually this is bad for ducks fans...we want buffalo to not let our rivals get points...but the cartoon takes the pain of it away fo sho

mispelling of the day for the spelling nazis:

"eat the corn out of my shitte"

Anonymous said...

Rudy's Corey Perry cartoon is still the best cartoon of the season, but the California giving it to Buffalo is definintely second.

Charity said...

*cough cough*... I can't have those kind of images on my work computer, sleek!!! LOL... j/k. anyway, I agree that everyone's going to be playing to keep their jobs tonight. I can't wait. Up against a young Chicago team, this should be another fun one!

btw - what corey perry cartoon?! What did I miss? *goes off in search of it*

Earl Sleek said...

btw - what corey perry cartoon?! What did I miss?

Rudy's excellent Perry cartoon can be found at the bottom of this post. Get your hopes way up!

Anonymous said...

wow anyone can draw that i think it is stupid sorry i know a kid in 3rd grade that can do it better!!!