Takes and trash talk from both ALL sides of the NHL's most obscure PATHETIC* rivalry

* Thanks, Kevin Lowe!

Thursday, May 22, 2008

Where's Earl been hiding?

I know I've been awfully quiet lately on this blog since the Ducks were eliminated, but I figured that since I had to carry the playoff post load last year, I'd let the "my teams are playing" guys manage the posting this time. It's actually been a nice little break from blogging, which is loosely depicted to the left.

I'm still not quite ready to talk that much about the Ducks, though; there's nothing too pressing that needs to be discussed before the postseason ends, at least. I'm not even that qualified to talk about these Cup Finals. I haven't watch either Pittsburgh or Detroit a lot to begin with, and I was at my baby brother's graduation this past weekend and missed both conference-clinching games.

What's also complicating things for me is a pair of obsessions I've recently developed that are interfering with these playoffs. One of them is GTA4, which I've been playing so much I used it as an inspiration for this week's PuckToon. I've been solidly into the series since GTA3, and I have to say I really like the mission set in this game a lot. It's a good thing, too, since they've taken the fun out of free-rampaging. What's the point in getting six stars if there are no tanks?

If that weren't enough of a drain on my free time, I finally got talked into watching SciFi's Battlestar Galactica, and now I can't shut up about it. I think I spend about five hours a day worrying about the fate of the humans on that show. I've kept up with this latest season's storyline, and have just started to watch Season One, and on each end of the spectrum it's a pretty damn solid production.

So yeah, I'll get to writing about the offseason Ducks soon enough, just as soon as I'm assured that the humans are free of Cylons and Liberty City is free of cops. I'm such a frackin' nerd sometimes it hurts.

22 comments:

Katebits said...

Battlestar Gallactica completely took over my life when I discovered it too. Email me when you start worrying about the fate of the cylons. (I love them toasters.)

Earl Sleek said...

Oh, I'm pretty sympathetic to the storyline of the cylons, too. The speech that one of them gave last week about their pursuit of mortality was incredible.

My roommates have started venturing their way into BSG also, if for no other reason that they've realized that I won't stop talking about it.

RudyKelly said...

I never thought I'd find a group where I was the cool one. Thank God for BoC.

Earl Sleek said...

Yeah, you'll probably be unimpressed when I rename this blog "Battlestar Californica" and write nothing but cylon think-pieces this summer.

Mr. Plank said...

Going with the sci-fi theme, is anyone out there as excited for Starcraft 2? Ten years is wayyyyy too long of a wait, but it's rumored that it's dropping in December.

/dance

brokeyard said...

You should try GTA 2... free on Rockstar's website. Now that's a classic.

Kirsten said...

I own all of the GTA games, and I have to say, I haven't even played the newest two. May it's worth my time after all? I try it once I stop interning/working 65-70 hours a week.

Earl Sleek said...

Yeah, I should have added that I do have a newish job that's been keeping me much later than I'm used to for the last three months or so (not only do I work later, but it's a further drive home also). That's probably just as responsible for my lazy blogging of late, but even in the few hours that I do get at home, I'm tending towards the GTA/BSG more than I am the NHL.

In a twisted way, since my non-work hours have been truncated and I've picked up two new fascinations, it's been oddly convenient to have the Ducks eliminated early.

Oh, and Kristen--the newest two games are frickin' marathons. I can't imagine getting GTA:SA done in less than two months, and who knows how much more Liberty City I'll be shooting my way through.

Kirsten said...

I'll keep that in mind. I have three months off of school, but I have a very short attention span, so it will probably take me more like 2 years to get through SA. Is the game good overall, or just addicting because it's new?

Earl Sleek said...

Oh, both games are pretty fantastic: San Andreas for its sheer size and generally strong SoCal presence, and GTA4 for taking away so many stupid things you had to do in San Andreas (working out, improving your driving skills).

I'm not sure even which one I'd recommend you start--maybe San Andreas? Maybe I'd just flip a coin to determine what would haunt me for the next phase of my life.

Mike said...

I have found the line between reality and fantasy with GTA IV is blurring badly...last week I left after about two hours of stealing taxis and mowing down pedestrians on the sidewalk to going outside to walk the dog and I passed a cab that was on fire a block away. The only missing was a confused looking Eastern European man with a rocket launcher. Though maybe he was across the street and I didn't see him...

Heather B. said...

Go, Cylons, go!

jamestobrien said...

With my job sometimes going until 10 p.m. (Central Time) and the Stars being on my DVR, the only game I've had time for is NHL 08.

I'm glad I have a three day weekend so I can geek out with some video games and SCF and There Will Be Blood.

This is going to be a damn good three day weekend, I think.

Earl Sleek said...

Mike, that cab on fire sounds awesome. I know that because of the game I'm regularly tempted to steal fire trucks and ambulances, but I'm getting pretty good at fighting that urge.

brokeyard said...

You want to know what's really interesting? This blog is worth $8,500. Amazing!

Link!!

Earl Sleek said...

Wow, we're millionaires!

I suspect it's a cylon trap, though.

Ang said...

Wait, are you saying you have gotten into Battlestar Galatica in, what they are saying, its last season? Where have you been? This has been THE show to watch for a while now. Welcome to this side of geekiness.

Earl Sleek said...

Haha, yeah I'm late to the game. I guess I thought I was too cool for the hype or something, but finally enough people kicked my ass into watching.

Little did I know that everyone recommending I watch the show was a supergenius.

I should add that I have really no connection to the old show whatsoever--I don't think I've seen a single episode. But that doesn't matter--it's kick ass television, and that's sort of scarce these days.

Anonymous said...

Pssh. Whatever with the BG. To embrace your true inner geek Earl, you should be watching Dr Who.

Earl Sleek said...

Whoa, that's a bit freaky. One of my friends told me the exact same thing last night.

Well, if you don't mind waiting for Duck updates, I can probably pencil it in for July.

Anonymous said...

What?! In the battle of sci-fi tv, no one has brought up Firefly yet? Best sci-fi show ever. And it doesn't even take that long to watch, since it was only on for one season.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firefly_(TV_series)

Kirsten said...

I'm always willing to wait for Ducks updates if you are telling me how to beat the game. My brother has not yet beat either game, and I would KILL to beat a video game before him. Just once! It's pretty much the only thing I can't kick his ass at and he's making me hear about it. I think I got Mercenaries the day it came out, and less than two weeks later he had beaten it before I even got to play it.

I started SA, and it's pissing me off that I have to learn how to drive. Really GTA? I'm not retarded.