Takes and trash talk from both ALL sides of the NHL's most obscure PATHETIC* rivalry

* Thanks, Kevin Lowe!

Thursday, May 15, 2008

A little dirty (but the Stars'll take it)

Some things never change. Do you think he has special goalie slash pads or something?

I'd like to preface this carefully: this has been a really, really good playoff year. Aside from Earl Sleek, Emilio Estevez, Chris Pronger's wife and Brian Burke, I think most folks would probably say that this year's playoffs have been way more entertaining than last year's.

That being said, there's been just some outright atrocious decisions made by NHL management/officiating/whatever. It honestly feels at times like hockey is such an outstanding product that it overcomes the idiocy that surrounds it.

The most despicable enterprise in hockey might just be the "makeup call" (no, wait, the most despicable enterprise is Sean Avery*. My mistake).

Holmstrom got away with goalie interference in Game 1 and therefore Detroit was improperly stripped of a goal that might have lowered the broom on the Stars in tonight's game. Is it "fair"? I guess, maybe. It might not take away the Stars win or the slight momentum it developed, but it's got to worry you about their chances in Game 5. Either way, the league's pin-the-tale-on-the-donkey approach to allowing or disallowing goals is getting downright old.


**********************************************
Then again, it could be worse:


It's going to take me a while to get over that one. Seriously, could the universe have picked a better coach to be a victim of such a ridiculous call than Angry John Totorella? Maybe Pat Quinn, but that would only be better because his cheeks would probably become rosy with anger. You owe it to yourself, as a hockey fan, to watch the clip under the "Unbelievable" link. (The Finnish goal scorer's reaction is particularly hilarious)

***********************************************
Honestly, the Stars simply don't have an answer for Datsyuk and Zetterberg. Every single time Zetterberg touches the puck, it feels like something bad is going to happen. And it pretty much does.

It's interesting how quickly the Stars are assuming the exact same stance that the Sharks did (although the Sharks had the extra carrot of a Home Game 7). The Stars have a lot of heart, but I do wonder if they'll simply get destroyed in the next game.

It'd be nice if tonight's win was more than a moral victory, but it's hard to imagine.

Then again, it has been 33 years since the last reverse sweep...

*I swear, I've almost misspelled Sean Avery by calling him Steve Avery at least 10 times this postseason. I guess if the confusion caused the former NY Mets pitcher to get Elisha Cuthbert in the sack he wouldn't complain, but otherwise the association would probably bother him...

9 comments:

Mr. Plank said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mr. Plank said...

A makeup call three games later is in no ways fair. You blew the call. Move on. If you really feel the need to "make up" a call (which is still questionable in my opinion) deal with it in that specific game. Detroit got hosed on that call.

The Stars looked good in the first period, and although in the second and first half of the third Detroit carried the play, Dallas finally began to capitalize on their scoring chances, which has been an epidemic all series long. Should be interesting on Saturday.

Anonymous said...

Refs blew it, no doubt, but I'm ok with even calls. Even when it goes against my team. I don't think the goal would have mattered only because the Stars did everything they could to grab defeat from the jaws of victory by sending 2 men off to the sin bin in the final minute, and the Wings still couldn't score even with a freakin 6 ON 3.....

What great drama that last period was though, especially the last minute - this is why I love hockey!

I can only hope this game served as a turning point in the series. I mean, what else can I hope for? The comparisons thrown around town are not the '42 Leafs or the '75 Islanders, but the '04 Red Sox. While that may be a stretch, it is certainly inspiring and helps us fans catch a bit more of that glimmer of hope that anything can happen.

Whew.....

Earl Sleek said...

Aside from Earl Sleek, Emilio Estevez, Chris Pronger's wife and Brian Burke, I think most folks would probably say that this year's playoffs have been way more entertaining than last year's.

I don't know if it's just me. Since Round One, 5 of 6 series have started with a fairly unexciting 3-0 series start.

Elimination games are fun, I guess, but there's something to be said for series with some tension.

Last year's WCF was a lot more see-saw, back-and-forth. I think that is more exciting than trying to guess how long the Stars have until elimination. Of course I'm biased, but I would like to see a series that could go either way.

Earl Sleek said...

And as for the topic at hand, yeah, that was an idiot call on the disallowed goal, another case where a perfectly valid goal gets taken away from a team with a 3-0 series lead.

I dunno, James. Call it exciting if you must, but if 3-0 leads means more official tampering with on-ice results, I think these playoffs stink.

Mike in OC said...

but if 3-0 leads means more official tampering with on-ice results, I think these playoffs stink.

Earl was it you that posted that link about the agent not rooting for the Sharks or the Stars, only 6 or more games in the series to increase the shared revenues?

Face it; they already know that the cap will be higher next season because there have been more playoff games played this season through the first 2 rounds of the playoffs. Now every game from here on out that goes past 4, will increase next seasons salary cap by that much more.

This to me is a bit of a conflict of interest where the players and league are concerned, but it's a fact now. It's in the Red Wings best interest to throw a few bones to Dallas before they eliminate them. Everyone gets something out of it now, not just the owners.

To me that was evident at the end of the game during the 6 on 3, It looked like Dallas did everything they could to lose the game (not intentional mind you) and Detroit tried their hardest not to tie it up.

That's just my opinion, but something to think about.

Earl Sleek said...

Earl was it you that posted that link about the agent not rooting for the Sharks or the Stars, only 6 or more games in the series to increase the shared revenues?

I didn't post it, but damn if it doesn't look like that's the case. If I didn't have a Wings fan living under my roof for the next month or so, I'd probably boycott the rest of this postseason. It's that disgusting.

In this case, it might not be about revenue, though. My first thought was that it was more about having a game to show on NBC on Saturday. Personally, I hope those ratings suck.

jamestobrien said...

Yeah, the third round certainly has been drama challenged. I guess I should try not to post things when I'm tired anymore (although during the week that's pretty much the permanent state I'm in).

My argument for this year's superior playoffs is that there has been 3 7-game series, a few upsets (Philadelphia over Montreal...to some extent the two series wins Dallas came up with) and no dreadful Minnesota - Ducks series to redefine watching paint try.

Ultimately, though, it shows that beauty and a good playoff year is in the eye of the beholder.

Mike in OC said...

My first thought was that it was more about having a game to show on NBC on Saturday

And now Sunday as well....who would have guessed.

I totally get your point James, as good as this year can be, (Detroit vs. The Pens SCF should be like watching an all star game with substance) it will pale in comparison to seeing Anaheim beat Nottowa for the cup in a very average series last season, in my eyes.