Takes and trash talk from both ALL sides of the NHL's most obscure PATHETIC* rivalry

* Thanks, Kevin Lowe!

Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Ducks Gameday—Mysterious Origin Comics, Part II

St. Louis Blues (5-5-0, t-10th in west) at Anaheim Ducks (8-5-1, 3rd in west)
Yeah, I was yelling "Blue-urns".


Well, another moderately-deserved two points snatched in L.A. last night, but I'll tell you -- the 2nd and 4th lines looked pretty outmatched through most of the night. Brendan Morrison is still struggling to produce, though I still don't mind his overall positional play, but I also think that Teemu's not fighting through enough checks, and Todd Marchant hasn't carried a scoring line since ever.

But hey, today's a new day and a new opponent -- the St. Louis Blues. Fun Fact: Did you know that St. Louis is in the Central Division, home of the Detroit Red Wings? Yeah, of course you knew that, but I'm horrible at segues.

But now that we're talking about Detroit, our friend, now mysteriously known as "The Swede" (though tireless research has revealed he doesn't live in Sweden), has produced another comic book masterpiece, this time focused on last week's encounter with the Red Wings. Now presented in thrilling two-part format!

Red Wings at Ducks, Oct. 29, 2008:

(click on either image to enlarge)

Overall: brilliant, but I especially like the look of the middle panel on the second page. Fantastic storyline progression, and it just looks damn cool. And I miss Brad May already.

* * *

More internet slutting guest appearances: I'm still not very comfortable in front of an imaginary microphone, but I was a guest on another podcast yesterday afternoon before the Kings game -- The Rink Podcast Episode Six with Tom Luongo and James "Tapeleg" Grailian. We talked a bit about the Ducks and Sundin rumors (I'm not in until the final third), plus there will be a full-length bonus interview sometime later this week. Let's hear it for thrilling two-part formats!

* * *

And lastly, I will put a proper post together sometime later for the Duck nominees, but I wouldn't fret too much about who is or isn't on the NHL All-Star Ballot. If you recall last year, I believe seven of the twelve popularly-elected starters actually showed up to the event, so it's not very meaningful anyways. Plus the vote is probably in boring one-part format, how lame.

Prediction: Maybe all Brendan Morrison needs is an encounter with Teemu's two favorite linemates, Andy McDonald and Paul Kariya, just to see how the Finn prefers to receive his passes. Ducks win, 3-2, in a thrilling two-part game (I dunno, let's say a pane of glass shatters midway through). Goals by Getzlaf, Pahlsson, and Montador.

Go Ducks.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

I strongly believe Morrison should start producing, he's doing a lot of damage to my fantasy team...

Great comic, even though knowing Finnish sure seems like a mistake now :P

Anonymous said...

You were great in front of the "mic.". We are going to call again soon. Come back any time.

Earl Sleek said...

I strongly believe Morrison should start producing, he's doing a lot of damage to my fantasy team...

Yeah, he's dead weight on one of my fantasy teams also. Fortunately, I'm cruising along with Malkin, Vanek, Gagne, and Selanne, so it's at least an acceptable loss. Still, even holding on to Bobby Ryan isn't hurting me as much as B-Mo.

Great comic, even though knowing Finnish sure seems like a mistake now :P

Ha, what does it say? My Finnish is worse than my ability to smoothly segue.

You were great in front of the "mic.".

Hey, thanks. It was pretty fun, but I tell you, I'm more of a print guy. I just love that backspace key. :)

Anonymous said...

Ha, what does it say? My Finnish is worse than my ability to smoothly segue.

I hope there isn't any kind of moderation around here (I doubt there is), but it says pretty much "Take off your panties and bend over, slut!" Which really seems to be in character with the people pictured, right? :D

Earl Sleek said...

I hope there isn't any kind of moderation around here (I doubt there is)...

We're so tech-unsavvy that it would probably take us ten months to implement comment moderation.

Nah, we're all about free speech. Fuckin' cuss it up, if you want.

Thanks for the translation, that's hilarious!

Mike in OC said...

great work sweede.

Julian said...

"Did you tell Samuelsson he was gonna get it?"

That is fantastic.

Don't try to drink soda and read the site at the same time. My nose hurts.

Earl Sleek said...

Don't try to drink soda and read the site at the same time. My nose hurts.

Hey, at BoC we believe that soda is best enjoyed in a thrilling two-part format.

brokeyard said...

Hey Earl do you know or do you know where I could find the Ducks practice schedule?

Earl Sleek said...

Hey Earl do you know or do you know where I could find the Ducks practice schedule?

Hmm, I'm not that much help there, actually. I could ask Finny, I guess. She might know more of these stalker tips. :)

Tonight, btw, is the first game of the Ducks' good streak that I thought they hands-down won. The team has been successful picking up points for a while, but tonight was the win that felt most familiar.

Positivity.

Grace C. said...

Tonight, btw, is the first game of the Ducks' good streak that I thought they hands-down won. The team has been successful picking up points for a while, but tonight was the win that felt most familiar.

I agree with you there, Earl. "Familiar" is right.

And just in time, too. I can't wait for Friday's game against Dallas. I watched their implosion in Boston last week with great schadenfreude. It'll be interesting to see how they react to that game, having had a week to stew over it.

Here's to hoping the Ducks can ignore the "idiocy and stupidity" of Avery and Ott and take advantage of Turco's craptastic start.

Earl Sleek said...

I can't wait for Friday's game against Dallas.

Neither can I. Row B :)

But I'll be with my dad and his friends, so it will be a more tempered Sleek.

Mr. Plank said...

Dangnammit dem Duckies sure are looking good. Getzlaf is a freaking machine.

Grace C. said...

Row B :)

Even more reason to hope that there's one final loop in the Stars' downward spiral. They can rediscover their game when the play in San Jose the next night.

Anonymous said...

when do we get another comic?