Takes and trash talk from both ALL sides of the NHL's most obscure PATHETIC* rivalry

* Thanks, Kevin Lowe!

Thursday, November 20, 2008

Brian Burke Week Part III: Nothing but shout-outs

Time to take a break from my normally scheduled Burke Week -- tomorrow I'll get to the positive GM lessons we can learn from the Burke. Today instead I'm just going to toss a few links and call it a day (partially because I feel bad just tossing these at the end of a long post; mostly because I'm lazy).

First off, in keeping with Burke-themed tradition, I was a guest again on The Rink Podcast this week to talk about what the Burke departure means for Anaheim. I'm the first of three guests in a virtual All-Star Game of blog guests -- Steve Lepore of Puck the Media also talks about Versus ratings, and Alanah McGinley of Canucks and Beyond talks about Roberto Luongo's shutout streak. Not my strongest work, but then again, podcasting ain't my forte.

Secondly, I wanted to give an update on the guy sometimes known as Kyle J and sometimes known as "the Swede" -- our mysterious comic book contributor here at BoC (Episode 1: Toronto, Episode II: Detroit). Well since his BoC debut, Comic Book Guy has taken the new name "Good Kyle", and has started his own multi-faceted blog: Good Kyle Versus Evil Kyle. I've added the link under "Hockey + Cartoons = Awesome", even though hockey cartoons seems to be a small portion of what that blog is offering. Good Kyle assures me that there's more hockey-themed artwork coming, though, and sent this image as a token of good positivity:


Why so sad?

And lastly and leastly, I also stayed Burke-themed on today's PuckToon. It was a rush-job, no doubt, but I'm not dissatisfied with the result. Enjoy!

Bobby Ryan = Positivity! Go Ducks.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

sleek..looks like the king in your puck toon is givie "ralph da duck" a little hand job..

and whats "ralph da duck" pointing to?

p.s. im gonna call the cyan duck ralph....he drinks alot..im sure he ralphs alot!!

Earl Sleek said...

Heh, cut me some slack. I got home last night after some drinking, and threw that PuckToon together in the wee hours of the morning (mostly because I didn't draw one last week).

looks like the king in your puck toon is givie "ralph da duck" a little hand job..

That's symbolic for the two points the Kings delivered for the Ducks last Sunday to break up their losing streak.

and whats "ralph da duck" pointing to?

Up to the reader. I think he's pointing to the Sharks in the standings.

p.s. im gonna call the cyan duck ralph....he drinks alot..im sure he ralphs alot!!

Yeah, he ralphed three times last night before the game was eight minutes old. Something about avian livers -- they don't hold up very well.

Anonymous said...

i cant belive i watched it when it was 5-2....6-2 then i switched to frasier..yea i watch frasier..so what!!

you might need to bust out the ducks kicking out of stomachs cartoons again..they always seem to give "POSITIVE" results...

now weres my double shot of jack?

Earl Sleek said...

yea i watch frasier..so what!!

I think Kelsey Grammer could have made better outlet passes than Montador and his friends last night. He also probably takes less stupid penalties.

now wheres my double shot of jack?

Please insert $17.50.

Earl Sleek said...

Today's Positivity Statistic:

The Ducks after 20 games are 10-8-2. After 20 games last season, they were 9-8-3. If you disregard last year's factors like the London-insane-schedule, the absence of Niedermayer and Selanne, the brutal presence of Mark Mowers, and the injuries throughout the start of last year, it's totally an improvement!

Remember: 9/10 of Positivity is selective memory!

brokeyard said...

When was the Sleek Duck named Ralph? Shouldn't it be Wildwing, just.. a blue interpretation?

Earl Sleek said...

When was the Sleek Duck named Ralph?

9:03 this morning in comment #1.

It's definitely not Wild Wing, though -- unless he's wearing a goalie mask.

We'll see. Maybe I'll call him "Costly Turnover" the duck, just to keep up with current trends.

Earl Sleek said...

One thing I forgot to mention about that Bobby Ryan picture, btw.

While it's obvious that there has been some artistic re-coloring of that image, I do believe that his lips are actually that red.

Anonymous said...

best part about this picture..

bobby is a HARDCORE conservative.

:)