Takes and trash talk from both ALL sides of the NHL's most obscure PATHETIC* rivalry

* Thanks, Kevin Lowe!

Thursday, November 06, 2008

San Jose's MVPP

What's an MVPP? Pretty simple, really. The Sharks have a promotion -- my personal favorite promotion -- called Four In The Net, Pizza You Get.

Sounds pretty self-explanatory, right? The Sharks score four goals during a home game and the ticket becomes an instant coupon for a personal pan pizza with one topping at Round Table Pizza. If you're like me and you sell a good number of your season tickets, it's a double-bonus -- the tickets pay for themselves and the ticket stub (since I email PDF tickets most of the time) still get me pizza. Simply put, it's awesome. In fact, if you listen closely during home games, there's one guy who always yells, "WEEEEEEEEEE WAAAAAAANT PIIIIIIIIIIIZZAAAAAAAAAAA!" some time after the third goal. Keep an ear open for it on the TV broadcast and I guarantee you you'll hear it.

So, with this in mind, MVPP stands for Most Valuable Pizza Player. It's a new thing I'll be tracking this season, and it'll show just who helps get us the most free pizza.

Here's how it'll work. Whoever scores the fourth goal of a home game will get two points. Whoever assists on it will get one point. There'll be a cumulative tally for all the home games, and the player with the most points will be the MVPP for the season. And unlike the Crappy Player Pick 'Em that I ran at my blog before my server blew up and lost all my data, I'll actually try to keep this updated from time to time.

Through last night's game:
Devin Setoguchi 6 (2, 2)
Patrick Marleau 3 (1, 2)

Ryane Clowe 2 (1, 0)
Joe Pavelski 2 (1, 0)
Rob Blake 1 (0, 1)
Dan Boyle 1 (0, 1)
Mike Grier 1 (0, 1)
Brad Lukowich 1 (0, 1)
Jamie McGinn 1 (0, 1)
Jeremy Roenick (0, 1)

10/9 4-1 over Anaheim (Setoguchi from Marleau/Blake)
10/14 5-2 over Columbus (Marleau from Grier)
10/18 Philadelphia 5-4 (Setoguchi from Roenick/Boyle)
10/30 Detroit 4-2 (Pavelski from Setoguchi/McGinn)
11/6 St. Louis 5-4 Shootout (Clowe from Lukowich/Setoguchi)

11 comments:

RudyKelly said...

I went to an Anaheim game against Phoenix once and there was a promotion that if they scored 5 goals you got a free burger from Carl's Jr. or something. They got 4 and then Phoenix pulled the goalie and the entire crowd (including me) started screaming for them to score. The Ducks ended up hitting the post. Even when I cheer for them the Ducks still screw me.

Earl Sleek said...

If Nabokov is really injured, do you think the team will try to score more to help out Boucher?

It just might get you an extra few pizzas.

Anonymous said...

Go Devin!!!!
from an Alberta fan

Mike Chen said...

No word on Nabby's injury yet. It didn't look good but hopefully it's just one of those things you walk off.

Ang said...

Just read Nabby is DTD --- http://blogs.mercurynews.com/sharks/2008/11/07/details-lacking-but-nabokov-officially-day-to-day-with-a-lower-body-injury/ ... (groans).

jamestobrien said...

HAHA, this is genius. Well done Chen.

Mr. Plank said...

HAHA, this is genius. Well done Chen.

Genius and delicious. Yummy yum yum.

Mr. Plank said...

If Nabokov is really injured, do you think the team will try to score more to help out Boucher?

Usually the Sharks enter a more defensive approach to games with Boucher in net- sort of looks like last year's version of Team Teal. I reckon Round Table won't be serving up as many pies till the injury runs it's course.

Earl Sleek said...

Here's a semi-hopeful Nabokov update.

Go ahead and exhale, Sharks fans.

Sarah said...

I've never actually "cashed in" on a "four in the net pizza you get" game. Although, once one of my students was hungry and moneyless one afternoon, and I just happened to have a ticket stub in my pocket, so I gave it to her. That feature has so left an imprint on my mom, any time she watches hockey (even if it's not the Sharks) she is most concerned that four goals are scored so the fans can get pizza.

Also, this is the best stat EVER!

Mina said...

This is the greatest thing I have ever seen. Mike Chen has now cemented his awesomeness in my book. Will the winner get some kind of award at the end of the year? A free personal pan pizza perhaps?