Takes and trash talk from both ALL sides of the NHL's most obscure PATHETIC* rivalry

* Thanks, Kevin Lowe!

Tuesday, November 04, 2008

BoC Gameday- Kings/Ducks- Those Deck Chairs Need Moving

Los Angeles Kings (3-6-1) vs. Anaheim Ducks (7-5-1)

7:30 PST, Fox Sports West


Two games ago, the Kings were sitting at 3-4-1 and had just put in a workmanlike effort against the Detroit Red Wings. The Kings had been competitive in every game but the first one and were especially effective in rotating three scoring lines. Then coach Terry Murray decided to reunite the O'Sullivan-Kopitar-Brown line from last season. Okay, fine, our third line sucks now but that line was good last year so maybe it'll work.

The result? 4-0 loss.

"Oscar, please stop hugging me."

Terry Murray then decided that maybe the problem was the Frolov-Handzus connection and moved Alex Frolov to Jarret Stoll's line. Oh, and he also gave up on the O'Sullivan-Kopitar-Brown line after one game and moved O'Sullivan to Frolov's spot with Michal Handzus.

The result? A 3-2 loss, during which Terry Murray decided Patrick O'Sullivan wasn't doing anything and moved him down to the 4th line and moved Raitis Ivanans into his spot. Let me repeat that: Terry Murray decided Raitis Ivanans could do better than Patrick O'Sullivan. Umm, what?



Today the Kings are expected to keep the Frolov-Stoll-Moller line together and probably move Kyle Calder back with Anze Kopitar and Dustin Brown. I imagine they're going to use Patrick O'Sullivan with Michal Handzus and Wayne Simmonds because, well, the alternative is so unappealing I can't even bring myself to type it. The basic framework the Kings have followed so far this season is to put Brown-Kopitar together and then Alex Frolov and Patrick O'Sullivan on the next two lines to give scoring on every line. Like I keep saying, the Kings need to bring up Ted Purcell alongside Kopitar and Brown or on the third line to give the Kings more scoring punch. But then I guess it doesn't really matter; it's not like the Kings are going to be any good anyway. This is all just rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic. Not even deck chairs, it's like moving those dining tables the Irish ate off of and Rose danced on.

***

Much has been made of Anze Kopitar's slow start, but so far his shooting percentage is .04%. I am pretty sure that's bad luck and will come up pretty soon.

***

I am one of those weird people that love voting. I get up early every time so I can be there right when the booths open and place my vote. This time sucked, though, because the polling place hadn't gotten their "I voted" stickers yet. The hell, man, how am I supposed to get free Starbucks without my Goddamn sticker? I was outraged. Oh well, I voted for Charles Baldwin so it's not like my vote matters anyway.

Prediction: Kings win, 4-3. Goals by Kopitar, Stoll, Quincey and Obama.

12 comments:

Chris Kontos said...

Obama could provide the secondary scoring the Kings have been looking for. I'd love to see an Obama, Oscar, O'Sullivan line.

RudyKelly said...

He is good at spreading the scoring around. His play reminds me of the old Soviet style.

RudyKelly said...

Oh great, tonight's game is in Rinkside View. It's probably for the best that I won't be able to see the goals.

Earl Sleek said...

"I went from partnering with Pronger to this? Fuck."

Yeah, the worst part might be that there's no end in sight for O'D, because if he gets moved this year, that costs Lombardi a pick.

And I don't know of anything that can separate Dean-o from his precious picks.

RudyKelly said...

The Kings' 4th line tonight will be Patrick O'Sullivan-Brian Boyle-Peter Harrold. You're thinking, "Isn't Peter Harrold a defenseman?" and you'd be correct. Now you're thinking, "How did he know I was thinking that? Oh my God."

Earl Sleek said...

The Kings' 4th line tonight will be Patrick O'Sullivan-Brian Boyle-Peter Harrold. You're thinking, "Isn't Peter Harrold a defenseman?" and you'd be correct.

Actually, with both Brad May and George Parros out of the lineup, the Ducks will be doing the same thing with D/F Steve Montador.

Last game the Montador was all over the place; playing some 4th line wing minutes but then also playing defense when "Huskins Time" met "Endboards Time".

Julian said...

"Huskins Time" met "Endboards Time"

I was really surprised to see him come back. It looked really bad.

kinger said...

@Earl

Any idea who starts in goal for the Ducks?

Earl Sleek said...

Any idea who starts in goal for the Ducks?

Sorry Kinger but that's something I find out at gametime just like everyone else.

It's Kings tonight and the Blues tomorrow, so I'd guess probably 60% likely that Giguere goes tonight and Hiller tomorrow, but I could be dead-wrong.

You have to remember, starting goalies are Carlyle's favorite secret. Heck, I've been wrong on which Ducks goalie will be starting the postseason two years in a row, so I'm no trustworthy source.

Kevin Y said...

Actually, with both Brad May and George Parros out of the lineup, the Ducks will be doing the same thing with D/F Steve Montador.

I don't have the same interest in this game knowing that we won't see George "Frank Zappa" Parros go after Ivanans. Same thing with May. If Perry, Getzlaf, and Selanne weren't doing so well, a Kings/Ducks game without Anaheim's two enforcers makes me more likely to stay tuned in to CNN.

Btw, Obama is currently up 102-34 according to CNN. Looks like the whole "Redskins win, incumbent party remains in power" theory will go 18-for-18.

Unknown said...

If I have to hear one more post game interview with an opposing team douche saying "well we really didn't play very good but we still came out with 2 points" I'm going to scream. Seriously, Kopitar, you can't tap that one in??

brokeyard said...

I actually heard the Starbucks thing was illegal.. apparently it's illegal to reward people for voting, so Starbucks had to change their policy to giving out a free cup of Coffee to anyone who asked.