Takes and trash talk from both ALL sides of the NHL's most obscure PATHETIC* rivalry

* Thanks, Kevin Lowe!

Thursday, August 14, 2008

Screw You, Greece

It's funny, I don't even like basketball that much. Yet here I am, up at 6 in the morning screaming obscenities at some ugly Greek for knocking Dwyane Wade to the ground (and I hate Dwyane Wade). I think I now know how Canadians feel when they're watching their national hockey team, because I know that we're the best basketball nation around but I still feel the need to validate it in this tournament. I caught myself yesterday but I came this close to saying that the US could have entered two teams in this tournament and medaled twice. It's not even that I care if the US doesn't win, it's just that I don't want other nations to stick it to us if we lose. It's like anti-shaudenfreude.

As a proud Jingoist, these Olympics have been pretty exciting. I was legitimately excited by the men's 4x200 freestyle relay (the one where the US won by milliseconds) and I appreciate that I can see women's beach volleyball or men's water polo at any time of the day. I could do without all these Chinese people, though. It's bullshit, they're just training people to win events no one cares about. It's not a gold in the 98 kg weightlift, it's a gold in wasting your life. I'm pretty sure the US will overtake China in the overall medal count once we unleash our army of track athletes but there's no way we're catching them in gold medals.

Oh well, at least we've won a few medals. Wouldn't you be really embarrassed if your nation trained and trained and then couldn't even win one lousy bronze? That would be pretty pathetic. What's that? Oh:

Waa waa.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ouch.

Too soon....

Earl Sleek said...

Way to go Korea!

(says half my lineage)

Anonymous said...

USA owns the pool. So I am happy.GO Phelps!

Matt said...

First callers to the Jim Rome Show, and now Rudy... will these indignities ever cease?

heed said...

the best part about all the american athletes being in china is the fact that the banks can foreclose on their homes while they're gone.

Kent W. said...

There's only 30 million of us and it's cold 8 months of the year here.

That's my excuse and Im sticking to it.

Earl Sleek said...

First callers to the Jim Rome Show, and now Rudy... will these indignities ever cease?

Yeah, Canada-medal-count knockers should go read Matt's work at Battle of Alberta, which has quickly become the #1 source on the internet for Canadian Olympic / Edmonton Arena news.

Probably dropped 'em to the #8 source on the web for Flames and Oilers updates, though :)

RudyKelly said...

Togo has a medal. Togo!

jamestobrien said...

Nothing that happens this summer can hurt Canada quite as much as their last Olympic hockey experience.

Leaving Crosby/Staal/Spezza as alternates or off the team altogether? Yeah, good job Wayne.

RudyKelly said...

Don't worry, this time they'll leave off Joe Thornton and take Shane Doan instead because Doan is "gritty." Then when they lose to Russia they'll say it didn't count because Joe Thornton wasn't there so they didn't have their best squad.

(Now the US is totally going to get its ass kicked by Spain on Saturday.)

Julian said...

There's only 30 million of us and it's cold 8 months of the year here.

I think it's more like 10 months, Kent. Then again, I used to live in Edmonton, so that's not necessarily applicable to the rest of Canada.

Just My Type said...

I'm glad you feel so confident about our medal standings. I must point out that the ping-pong events haven't taken place yet.

And I'm pretty sure the South Africans can run circles around us.

I hope I'm wrong.

Anonymous said...

"It's bullshit, they're just training people to win events no one cares about."

Sort of like being a great writer for a hockey blog....

eh, Rudy?

Anonymous said...

"I could do without all these Chinese people, though."

What, 1.3 billion people not of interest? That's 1/5 of the world, and we finally get a glimpse of these wonderful, determined people and their culture. (I really like the centuries the emperor had a new 15 year old every night.)

Anyway, in a five person family, China would represent 1 person. And I doubt they will win 1/5 of the gold medals!