Takes and trash talk from both ALL sides of the NHL's most obscure PATHETIC* rivalry

* Thanks, Kevin Lowe!

Friday, August 15, 2008

Flashback Part 2: Sleek digs up an Omen

(This is Part 2 of my "things I found when packing up for a move" series. Part 1 is here.)

You know, my life isn't all about going to Ducks games and then drawing cartoons about them. On occasion, I've even been known to attend a Kings game every now and again. It's sort of a fun outing, as I don't have to worry about any real rooting interest, and hey, it's something I can't see on Versus (Zing!).

In my moving frenzy, I found this 8 1/2 x 11 handout from one such game that Hockey Reference.com has helped me timestamp: October 16, 2001. And guess who was the Kings' coverboy for the handout--doesn't he just look swell?


It's not Reebok wind-resistant, but not a bad look!

It seems a bit odd that this game memento would sit in the depths of my closet from 2001 until a week ago. I think this has to mean something other than "clean your closet more, you idiot". It's a sign, fate's version of an e1, and another bit of momentum for the BoC Collaboration.

Just for nostalgic fun, here's a look at some old-timey rosters printed on the back:


Current Kings: zero.
They should have kept that Heinze #57 gag running longer.



Current Capitals: zero.
But look! Sutherby!

I can't help thinking it would really facilitate a trade if Schneider had an old teammate to reunite with in L.A.

Does anybody have Modry's phone number?

8 comments:

Earl Sleek said...

Oh, and make sure to check out BoC's defensive talents, as assigned by EA Sports! Link.

Earl Sleek said...

Also on the comment link list: Mike Chen and 5 ways he'd change the NHL.

Good going, Chen!

RudyKelly said...

Huh, I never realized Frolov hasn't made the playoffs yet.

And boy, did I hate Craig Johnson and Kelly Buchberger. Still do. Craig Johnson had an innate talent to create a genuine scoring chance all on his own and then completely blow it in the most comical fashion and Kelly Buchberger was the Todd Fedoruk of his day.

Earl Sleek said...

Craig Johnson had an innate talent to create a genuine scoring chance all on his own and then completely blow it in the most comical fashion

Sounds quite familiar, actually. He's got a bit of Marchant in him, from the sound of things.

Anonymous said...

At first, I was confused, seeing Trevor Linden on the Capitals roster. Who knew? But then I checked, and he only played 28 games over 2 seasons with them, so he probably barely remembers that time as well.

Earl Sleek said...

Yeah, Linden was a bit of a shocker for me as well. Don't really remember him playing in WSH at all.

Also Joe Sacco caught me a bit off-guard. I kind of assumed that guy fell off the face of the planet after playing in Anaheim.

Anonymous said...

I think it's hilarious that Andreas Lilja's birthplace is listed as "Sweden, Sweden."

It makes it sound like his mom dropped him in the middle of a field somewhere distant from any human habitation - and then he was raised in the wild by wolves.

Earl Sleek said...

I think it's hilarious that Andreas Lilja's birthplace is listed as "Sweden, Sweden."

That is pretty awesome. I'll take either your theory or perhaps baby Lilja was dumped over the wall separating Finland from Sweden, and all that the adoptive parents could determine was that he originated on the Swedish side.