Takes and trash talk from both ALL sides of the NHL's most obscure PATHETIC* rivalry

* Thanks, Kevin Lowe!

Saturday, August 23, 2008

Kopitar Week: Where He Stands


Kopitar is a pretty awesome dude, but how awesome is he? To be honest, I don't have a well-formulated opinion on the matter. I'm inclined to believe Kopitar is the fifth best young player in the league, behind Sidney Crosby, Alexander Ovechkin, and Evgeni Malkin. (There is no fourth because those three are way above everyone else.) Kopitar's great and I think he'd get a lot more dap if we wasn't the same age as those above three. I think most people think Jonathan Toews will be better than Kopitar because he's... Canadian, but I don't agree. I'm biased though, so let's hear what you guys think. Here's a list of 10 players:

Jonathan Toews
Steve Stamkos
Sidney Crosby
Alexander Ovechkin
Evgeni Malkin
Anze Kopitar
Nicklas Backstrom
Patrick Kane
Kyle Turris
Jordan Staal (teehee)

Put them in order. Help me get an idea where Kopitar stands.*

*Please try to refrain from pointing out that I obviously forgot about (x) and how I'm a complete idiot for doing so. And if we keep one NHL argument from devolving into a Crosby v. Ovechkin donnybrook that'd be great.


***

How Kopitar does next season will be interesting. The Kings should hopefully have a more defensive scheme so Kopitar could possibly see a reduction in points. But he'll be better, so he could see an increase in points. I think a successful season for Kopitar will be 80+ points with a ppg of over 1. If he plays with Dustin Brown and Patrick O'Sullivan all season, I think 90+ isn't out of the question. The only thing I can guarantee is that Anze will be awesome and I will gush about him like Earl Sleek at a Jonas Brothers' concert.

10 comments:

Mike said...

No doubt our raccoon-looking friend is fourth on this list behind AO, Crosby, and Malkin. After I'd put Toews and Kane in that order, then maybe Backstrom.

Gautham Ganesan said...

Ovechkin
Crosby
Malkin
Kopitar
Toews
Kane
Backstrom
Stamkos
Staal (I see what you did there)
Turris

Also, off-topic, perhaps fodder for a future blog post, but who's centering the Kings' second line next year? I can envision any of Jarret Stoll, Brian Boyle, Michal Handzus and Patrick O'Sullivan filling the role, but I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts. Yes, this is what my summer hockey contemplation has been reduced to -- pondering the identity of the Sharks' weakest opponent's second-line pivot.

Tom said...

Crosby
Ovechkin
Kopitar
Stamkos
Malkin
Toews
Backstrom
Kane
Turris
Lucic ;)

* This is how I see them in terms of overall value to the franchise, not how good they will be in any given season.

bostonblueline.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

is the 'x' for perry or getzlaf? or getzry? or perzlaf?
see what I did there?
but seriously top 5 would be
Ovechkin
Malkin
Crosby
Getzlaf
Kopitar

Anonymous said...

Ovie
Malkin
Kopitar
Backstrom
Kane/Toews
The Hershey Bears
The Washington Nationals
Me
Crosby

Anonymous said...

"I'm inclined to believe Kopitar is the fifth best young player in the league, behind Sidney Crosby, Alexander Ovechkin, and Evgeni Malkin. (There is no fourth because those three are way above everyone else.)"

You might want to look up a kid named Paul Stastny, last season's injuries not withstanding... he could be the #4.

What is it with people and the NHL constantly overlooking this kid?

Sorry, I couldn't help myself. But even BMR knows the power of this kid.
/avs fan

Anonymous said...

Who is turris I'm too lazy to look him up.

Kevin Y said...

I know how good the Washington Nationals are.. but no way they're behind Ovie and Malkin. C'mon!

Sal said...

Alexander Ovechkin
Sidney Crosby
Evgeni Malkin
Jonathan Toews
Patrick Kane
Anze Kopitar
Nicklas Backstrom
Jordan Staal
Kyle Turris
Steve Stamkos - yet to play in the NHL, so that's why he's last.

RudyKelly said...

Getzlaf and Stastny are both going to be 24 this season. I didn't think it was fair to include them with everyone else. I only included Malkin and Ovechkin because people would've gotten pissy for including Crosby and not them.