Takes and trash talk from both ALL sides of the NHL's most obscure PATHETIC* rivalry

* Thanks, Kevin Lowe!

Thursday, September 13, 2007

BoC Gameday—IT’S HOCKEY TIME!

Today: Los Angeles Kings at Anaheim Ducks, 7 pm
Saturday, Anaheim Ducks at Los Angeles Kings, 7:30 pm

Well, it’s a preseason half-lineup game that I won’t see or hear, but it’s still an NHL game that I can write about, dammit! I probably won’t be doing many gameday posts this preseason, but seeing as it’s the start of a new BoC chapter, I gotta chip something in (feel free to do the same Rudy). After all, while summer SoCal coverage makes everyone hockey-starved, it has only been 100 days since my last gameday post—for Kings fans, they've had an extra 60 days off.

If you’re not a fan of watching the Ducks, it’s been a tough year for you. They were one of the only two teams playing meaningful hockey in June. They’ll be one of the only two teams playing meaningful hockey in September. And now, they’ll be playing two meaningless games this week before anyone else gets their preseason started.

Mirtle will tell us that preseason results can be a good predictor of regular season success, and while that’s generally true, let’s not forget what happened last year when these same teams matched up for the Ducks’ first preseason game—the Kings blew the Ducks out of their new logo with a 7-1 smashing. That didn’t turn out very predictive, though—L.A. rode that win to a 14th place finish, and Anaheim rebounded for a Stanley Cup.

Prediction: Who the hell cares? It’s preseason, baby. Just enjoy some no-pressure hockey and hope that nobody gets suspended very long.


This Duck fan is stocked up for the new season--are you?

Go Ducks.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hooray Hockey! Hooray Beer! My favorite, Kilkenny (brewed by Guinness and sadly not available in the U.S.) is on the top shelf on the right (fourth from the left). My other favorite, The Sharks, have been sadly off the BofC radar in the last couple of months.

Can this be chalked up to stealthiness? I know it isn't for a lack of high expectations.

Package our Cup nicely please and put it on a truck heading up the I5 to its next California home. Thanks.

Earl Sleek said...

Can this be chalked up to stealthiness? I know it isn't for a lack of high expectations.

I'm never a guy who puts out standings predictions, but if I did, I'd have the Sharks on top the Pacific this year and last. As for coverage, well, Mike Chen is here in L.A. right now on his honeymoon, so thus the lax coverage lately (plus it's offseason--not a lot that needs to be written about).

As for playoffs, though, they'll have to convince me still that being up 2-1 in a 2nd round series means they'll advance.

Kilkenny--now on my list of beers to try. Is it anything like Kilcloutier, the official beer of the Kings' season?

Bryan said...

Ahh yes preseason, the one thing a season ticketholder dreads. Paying regular price for a preseason game sucks. Luckily I've unloaded 3 of my 4 games. SJ v. Ducks anyone?

All you Kings fans have to hope this is finally the year Dallas stumbles and I know I've been predicting that for the last couple of years. Since we all know it is impossible for 4 teams to make the playoffs from the same division. Hey at least you guys stole Nagy from them. That should help?

Wings
Ducks
Van
SJ
Wild
Blues
Col
Dallas

With Calg, Nash, LAK on the outside looking in? Maybe? Only preseason will tell . . . absolutely nothing because hey its preseason

RudyKelly said...

This is great, so I'll just add that Blake is playing tonight and so is Cloutier.

Full rosters for both teams here:

http://ducks.nhl.com/team/app/?service=page&page=Preview&seas=20072008>ype=1&gnum=1

I imagine we'll win but I 'm not going to hold my breath (or care that much).

Earl Sleek said...

I imagine we'll win but I 'm not going to hold my breath (or care that much).

Heh, can you even listen that well on AM 830? I know I can hear it fine whenever I'm by the Pond, but damn I have to switch stations when I get to Long Beach or beyond--it becomes pure static after that.

It's ironic, too, since the only commercial that they'll play is one that brags about AM 830's 50 megawatt tower or something. Uh, advice for AM 830: you might want to shelve that ad until it's evident that the station is audible outside a 25-mile radius.

Anonymous said...

go for dos equis....with a lime and a little salt...cant go wrong..

GO DUCKS!!
p.s. well lose we always suck in preseason

VeryProudofYa said...

Looking at the box score, it says our good friend Hnidermeyer found himself in a tussle, against whom, I'm not sure.

The online score viewer I last checked failed to have a matching major on the kings fan, any idea what happened?

VeryProudofYa said...

On the kings player, rather.

words and all that.

Earl Sleek said...

It looks like it was Hnidy vs. Hnidy.

"Stop hitting yourself!"