Takes and trash talk from both ALL sides of the NHL's most obscure PATHETIC* rivalry

* Thanks, Kevin Lowe!

Friday, March 23, 2007

Kings Gameday: No TV Makes Rudy... Something Something

Los Angeles Kings (25-35-14, 13th in West) vs. Chicago Blackhawks (27-37-9, 14th in West)



5:30 PST, 1150 KTLK





The Kings are playing the Blackhawks tonight, but the game is not going to be on television. I don't mean that it's not going to be on FSN West or Prime Ticket; I don't think the game is on television at all. What is this, the 1880s? I'm not old enough to remember a time where it was impossible to get certain games on television, so this is mind-blowing to me. I mean, do they have cameras in the building at all? Damn you, Bill Wirtz!

It's not all bad, though. Nick Nickson (the Kings' radio play-by-play man for a number of years) is sick, so Bob Miller is going to be doing the game tonight on radio for the first time since the '80s. Bob is one of those guys I'd listen to broadcast anything (well, not women's basketball), so it should be fun listening to him in a different medium. Plus, Kopitar is back, which is awesome. (Is it weird that my mood is affected in large part by the fortunes of a 19 year-old kid from Slovenia? It is? I thought so.)
I'm excited about this game tonight. I mean, yeah, it's radio, and this game is probably the most unimportant game ever played in the history of the NHL, but it's still Kings hockey. Go Kings go.

Prediction: This game won't make the highlights on SportsCenter. There's Arena Football to show, people!

1 comment:

Sal said...

I feel your pain, brother, about the whole "No TV" thing.

I was at that game, because I was able to get 2 $80 tickets for free. Yes, the Blackhawks--and their owner "Dollar" Bill Wirtz--have resorted to giving away tickets to a Friday night game.

While the 'Hawks don't televise home games, they do have closed-circuit TV cameras. That way, you can watch the game from the restroom, the beer line or even one of their overpriced in-stadium restaurants (for people who like to go to the game and then watch it on a television screen while enjoying a steak).

Suffice to say, other than a few fights, you did not miss much.

Sal
---
Check out my hockey blog:
http://robotrabbit.blogspot.com/