Takes and trash talk from both ALL sides of the NHL's most obscure PATHETIC* rivalry

* Thanks, Kevin Lowe!

Saturday, November 11, 2006

Off-topic: Help a brother out!

Well, to be more specific, help my brother out.

I feel a little bit dirty advertising like this, but I've got a kid brother who's trying to make it as a musician in NYC with a band called Mercer.

They're in somewhat of a fledgling state, having just produced their first album. I think it's pretty good, but truth be told, I'm a guy who listens to more dead composers than live ones.

At any rate, you can give them a listen on their MySpace page or visit their website. If you like it, buy a copy (and keep my brother from starving). If you don't like it, let 'em starve (it adds to their street cred).

Sorry for the advertisement, but hey, "He's not heavy, sir. He's my brother."

6 comments:

andy grabia said...

That's awesome, Earl. Don't feel dirty. It's your site. Do whatever the hell you want.

I'll check it out. Any sound comparisons before I do?

Earl Sleek said...

Mercer formed in New York in the summer of 2005 and began writing material at an aggressive pace. Armed with the mission of taking the piano to a new place in indie/rock music, Mercer pushed itself to create an edgy and complex sound not often heard in a piano-based band. Combining the melodic forces of Coldplay and Keane with the rhythmic intensity of the Mars Volta, the band continues to explore new sounds and ideas with each new song. The stripped-down, 3-piece band relies on equal contributions from all members, and the wealth of ideas brought forth results in songs that highlight individual abilities while remaining true to the song as a whole. Consisting of only a piano, an electric guitar, drums, and vocals, the band manages to create a thick, layered sound that is greater than the sum of all the parts.

The thing that impresses me is that they're able to do it all with just three guys. From the photo, they all seem to be regular, two-armed fellows.

Temujin said...

If I buy his album, can we forget about our little bet? :-)

I think I liked the Elijah song best.

Jordi said...

Aww, that's sweet. I'd love to buy one for support but I'm so broke it kills me. Maybe at the start of next year I'll be less poor.

mike said...

I liked the Elijah song best

Agreed. They definitely have potential, but need some help with the production. Elijah could turn into a great tune with a little tweaking.

Miss. Scarlett said...

I definitely appreciate starving artists, especially in NYC. Music's a hard industry to break into.

I agree with Ninja though, with a little production tweaking they could be ready for prime time. Don't know if it'll help but I'll pass their stuff on to the radio station I work at. Who knows, maybe they'll be huge in Hamilton :P

Am I crazy to suggest the guy in the middle looks like Zach Braff? Except, sort of Asian?