Takes and trash talk from both ALL sides of the NHL's most obscure PATHETIC* rivalry

* Thanks, Kevin Lowe!

Saturday, June 24, 2006

Pavol, we barely knew thee...


After talking some smack in my intro post, I was hoping that the Kings would hop on 'ol Pavol Demitra's shoulders next year. In between scoring nearly a point per game, he suffered every calamity short of an anvil falling on his head last season.

Welp, so much for that. The Kings traded Demitra for up-and-comer Patrick O'Sullivan and the Wild's pick, who ended up being Trevor Lewis. Also, with the 11th pick, the Kings took the highest-ranked goaltender in the draft, Jonathan Bernier. He happens to be the brother of San Jose Shark forward Steve Bernier, who was a real solid fantasy hockey pickup during the end of last season.

Demitra-Gaborik could be a terrifying combo. Even though I'm very upset to not get to watch Demtira play this year (when his limbs are attached, at least), I have to admit -- The Wild needed to add some friggin' talent sooner or later. Their fans deserve it.

Argh. This might be a bumpy year. Lombardi might have said it best when he used the term, black hole.

6 comments:

Mike Chen said...

I think this is a great trade for the Kings -- and I'm not just saying that as a sarcastic Sharks fan. Patrick O'Sullivan's the real deal, and if you've read about his family history, you know you've got a character guy who won't get rattled by a measly little hockey game when he's dealt with serious life shit. Pavol seems forever cursed to get strange injuries and O'Sullivan's on the cusp of being NHL-ready and you restock the cupboard.

Actually, this reminds me a lot of one of Lombardi's last deals for the Sharks -- aging, injury-prone Owen Nolan for Alyn McCauley, Brad Boyes (thrown away by stupid Doug Wilson), and a 1st rounder who became a Bernier -- Steve Bernier.

It might set the Kings back for another rebuilding season, but it adds greatly to their youthful core and will be well worth it in 2-3 seasons.

jamestobrien said...

Oh, I agree, believe it or not. But I have the attention span of a goldfish.

Hence, the immature bitching. To be fair, my other team is the Penguins...so it's been a while since I've watched a meaningful playoff hockey game.

Unknown said...

The LA Kings are dead to me.
I'm having the local ladies from Trindad & Tobago conduct their usual ritual that will see the Kings suffer 300 different injuries.

Bitches! >:(

Stormbringer said...

The Wild will already be veeeeeery interesting to watch next season. Though, I cannot help but feel that Gaborik and Demitra will not be enough to help the team crack the West's top eight. Unless Fernandez can *really* string together a great season, they're going to need good goaltending, among one or two other things.

Black Dog said...

Its a good deal for the Kings I think. I'll bet that they are going to follow the Sharks and Ducks' lead by clearing out as many of their older more expensive players as they can.

Not bad if they get the right return and O'Sullivan is a start.

Anonymous said...

If I may get technical, that was actually Edmonton's 1st rounder you guys picked up. We gave it to Minny for Dwayne Roloson.