Takes and trash talk from both ALL sides of the NHL's most obscure PATHETIC* rivalry

* Thanks, Kevin Lowe!

Friday, June 30, 2006

Extractions

Pardon my spotty posting, as I just got my wisdom teeth yanked - an odd bit of irony in that I feel three times as an intelligent without my so-called wisdom teeth.

I'll keep the clamoring masses updated on whether or not any of my family members takes any humiliating pics of me with an ice pack wrapped around my giant melon.

Anyway, to keep with the "extraction" theme I imagine that most of the "moves" the Kings will be making this off-season will be subtraction-centric. Judging from the fact that Mr. Elisha Cuthbert and the former king of digital hockey JR are more or less out, not to mention the sad but necessary departure of Demitra...I think this is going to be one of those dreaded "rebuilding" years.

As of the rumor of adding Rob Blake back, I don't mind the idea of a two-year deal. The Kings, much like their Cali brothers, could certainly use the boost of having Blake's terrifying point shot and brutal checking skillz. But, again, judging from The Dean's draft-day moves, old looks to be trampled by new.

Much like Sleek, I look upon the old Elias-Arnott-Sykora line with admiration, although mostly with sad memories of them ripping out the Penguins' hearts during Lemieux's memorable comeback run. Elias and Arnott would be welcome additions, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Goalie-wise, the Kings clearly still need to look in the direction of getting a young'un. Obviously, getting Luongo would have answered that question for a decade. Rolo is a little old. Legace had a rocky run in the playoffs, and you have to wonder about the whole "contract year" thing.

My guess is that the Kings won't make a major splash, keeping an eye on the light at the end of the tunnel they extended with the Demitra trade. Still, if they get the urge, I'd be more than happy to have Elias, Zdeno Chara, Pavel Kubina or Wille Mitchell.

3 comments:

Earl Sleek said...

Really? I fully expect the Kings to make a large offseason splash this year, given the cap space available and the renewed hope of a Lombardi-Crawford connection.

I still scratch my head on the Demitra move, but I assumed it meant that there was a bigger name to grab from the [UFA or Pronger] pool.

I wouldn't be that surprised to see one of your wishes come true; after all, Kings have a lot more to spend than other big-market teams. A clean-slate roster on June 30th provides nice options in a capped league.

jamestobrien said...

You might be right. If I'm completely wrong, I'll just blame it on the medication.

Worked for Brett Favre, right?

Anonymous said...

I hear Pronger rumored to LA or San Jose. Have you heard that yet?
Just speculation.