Takes and trash talk from both ALL sides of the NHL's most obscure PATHETIC* rivalry

* Thanks, Kevin Lowe!

Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Sleek gets ImMirtle-ized. Go Pigs!


That'll do, pig. That'll do.

So I was mostly without internet today, and didn't see this until late. Apparently the Ducks' AHL affiliate, now in Iowa, came out with this new name and logo. And it wasn't until I read this post that I realized that as a Ducks fan, I guess I'm supposed to be outraged.

Ummmm, sorry, but I really can't care one bit. In fact, I'm mystified that this bothers Ducks fans at all.
  • As far as I'm concerned, Des Moines is no closer to SoCal than Portland (ME) was. So long as it's not accessible by television, it's completely off my radar. I've only seen one AHL game in my life -- during the lockout they televised the AHL All-Star Game. This is a logo I'll probably never see.


  • As for the logo itself, what's there to get upset about? Didn't we Anaheim fans spend a decade rooting on a cartoon farm animal? Hey, I'm a guy who firmly believes that all team names and all logos are inherently stupid, and anybody who is going to stand up for a Red Wing or a Maple Leaf and ridicule a Duck or a Pig needs to argue with somebody younger than me. I do prefer having a logo to not having one, though; two years later I'm still sort of miffed that the Ducks chickened out and went with a non-offensive "text only" design.


  • Besides, there's plenty of ways that I can draw a pig. And that's exactly what king of bloggers James Mirtle jokingly challenged me to do. He started this blog, so I felt obligated, and I'm kind of happy with how it turned out -- click here to see it.
Go Pigs.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Earl, you the cartoonist laureate of the hockey world.

Charity said...

To clarify, I'm not saying every Ducks fan should be outraged. I just think it's ugly as hell.

Like bearing the whole Disney insignia and title of "Mighty Ducks" was something for people to make fun of back in the day, the fact is that the CHOPS' ugly logo is going to be another thing for anti-Ducks fans to poke fun at.

Not that it matters since I don't watch a ton of AHL hockey, but dude. Seriously?!

RudyKelly said...

You should not be embarrassed by the Chops. You should, however, be embarrassed for using that pun in the title.

Earl Sleek said...

Like bearing the whole Disney insignia and title of "Mighty Ducks" was something for people to make fun of back in the day...

Maybe best not to make me get into that. I'm a huge fan of the ol' Disney duck, and I particularly love how angry purists got about it.

You should, however, be embarrassed for using that pun in the title.

Never! Bad puns are the highest form of art.

Anonymous said...

Didn't Chief Wiggum coach a hockey team called "The Mighty Pigs" in an early "Simpsons" episode?

Mike in OC said...

It's a good thing most players who play for them have no fukin choice.


Dear God!

Earl Sleek said...

Yeah, and look at the bright side. They all should be excited to put on Ducks jerseys if anybody gets called up.

Anonymous said...

Never! Bad puns are the highest form of art.

How about these?

Earl Sleek said...

How about these?

Beautiful, Zot. I used to have an old favorite pun, but I kind of forget how it started. There was this string who got in some sort of trouble, so to avoid detection he got himself all tangled up and made his ends all frizzy.

Then, when some guy came by and accused, "Hey, aren't you that string everybody's looking for?", the disguised string replied, "No, I'm a frayed knot."

Anyways, here's a link to today's PuckToon. Regrettably, though, the Mirtle pig is probably the better cartoon.