Takes and trash talk from both ALL sides of the NHL's most obscure PATHETIC* rivalry

* Thanks, Kevin Lowe!

Sunday, July 06, 2008

Nadal, Federer and the need for legitimate winners

Rafael Nadal: a whimpering, tennis world splicing of Petr Sykora and Ed Hochuli?

I don't consider myself a tennis fan, but my friend and I were lucky to stumble upon today's Wimbledon final where Nadal finally bested Federer in the longest Wimbledon final ever. The ridiculously close match made me think of those unforgettable marathon OT games in the NHL playoffs.

It compels me to say that sudden death overtime is the only way a playoff hockey game should ever be decided.

Gary Bettman and his team of buffoons can fumble perfect marketing opportunities, bungle year-long strikes and allow the league to expand to places where ice barely exists, but they must not be allowed to ruin the playoffs.

Pittsburgh - Detroit was a classic. San Jose - Dallas was pretty damn amazing. And the tennis equivalent of a multi-OT game was compelling to even the most casual observers. Let that be a lesson to the NHL.

Please, don't fuck this up.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Places where there is hardly ice...? like California?

RudyKelly said...

Yeah James, I completely agree, the Stars should definitely move back to Minnesota.

jamestobrien said...

For some reason, I decided to write that instead of just bashing Tennessee, which was my original plan.

Sometimes I feel like Nashville deserves a break. Curse my inconsistent heart.

Anonymous said...

It compels me to say that sudden death overtime is the only way a playoff hockey game should ever be decided.

Damn Skippy