Takes and trash talk from both ALL sides of the NHL's most obscure PATHETIC* rivalry

* Thanks, Kevin Lowe!

Monday, July 28, 2008

LA Third Jersey News

New information is leaking about the Kings' new jersey for the upcoming season, thanks to Howard Berger of HockeyBuzz. Here's his description of what the jersey will look like:


LOS ANGELES: The Kings will unveil a predominantly black jersey with the letters “L A” inside a pencil-point logo on the front. Broad white stripes will adorn each arm. A thin white stripe will run horizontally on each side of the jersey, just beneath the shoulder. There are no stripes at the bottom of the uniform. The color purple – widely evident in the Kings’ primary jersey – will likely be featured in the number outlines of the alternate, though the photo copy I have doesn’t clearly show it. A better idea would have been a reprise of the Kings’ original purple and gold uniforms from 1967, but the club marketers are apparently not bent on tradition.


Now, can someone tell me what a "pencil-point logo" is? I have no idea. Also, I'm a little worried it'll look like a roller hockey jersey, what with the broad white stripes down the arms and nothing at the bottom of the jersey and all that. One bonus? No purple. I don't know about you, but I hate the purple addition to the black and white. Why purple and not gold? It bothers the shit out of me.

This jersey sounds like it'll be a compromise between the Kings' current jerseys and their Chevy logo days from the '90s. I'm all for any jersey that reps LA, so I'll give this jersey a tentative thumbs up for now.

Update:
Reader Andrew points out that the description reminds one of the Galaxy logo:

17 comments:

Earl Sleek said...

Well, I suppose it's likely that Anaheim will follow this third-jersey money-grab strategy.

I guess I can not buy any of three jerseys just as easily as I wasn't buying either of two last season.

Mike in OC said...

Sounds like it could be cool.

R.K. what's wrong with roller hockey?

Kevin Y said...

I've been paying attention to the third jersey rumours ever since us season-ticket holders were told we'd get an authentic autographed one or something in November. The first report was that it would "incorporate looks from the past", so the '90s black/silver style is a safe bet.

There is another website, icethetics.blogspot.com, that will keep you updated on all the third jersey rumours out there.

Earl Sleek said...

Now, can someone tell me what a "pencil-point logo" is?

Purely guessing here, but it might be needlepoint depicted in PowerPoint, as developed at West Point.

Anonymous said...

I am all for anything that removes that stupid LOS ANGELES along the bottom of the jersey.

Mike in OC said...

Third jerseys usually suck. Maybe thats by design, people quickly run out and buy them, then the team quckly re-designs them because they suck.

Didn't Anaheim have one with a cartoon duck breaking out of the ice? I'm with Earl, I have my one jersey and refuse to purchase anymore than one.

Earl Sleek said...

I'm with Earl, I have my one jersey and refuse to purchase anymore than one.

Well, to be clear, I have zero jerseys since Anaheim did their re-design. My latest Ducks jersey still has a Disney logo and a Vishnevski name and number.

Still, I'm getting by just fine with a lucky green t-shirt; I'm probably not buying another Ducks jersey until (a) they design a logo, and (b) there's a player who promises to stick around for a good while, and even then I'd still have to think about it.

brokeyard said...

Ah yeah, I remember the day you celebrated Notre Dame and the Ducks by wearing your green Anaheim.

As for "there's a player who promises to stick around for a good while", I would just get a jersey with no name on the back.

On a side note, I met a guy who played hockey for Notre Dame about 15 - 20 years ago. I thought it was cool.

Earl Sleek said...

Ah yeah, I remember the day you celebrated Notre Dame and the Ducks by wearing your green Anaheim.

So do I. Both teams lost miserably. :)

Andrew Harkins said...

Sounds like this jersey could go either way. It might be a nice simple jersey like the Red Wings', or it might be simple in a bad way and look cheap.

I was wondering the same thing about the pencil point logo, and I think it might mean the old original shield type logo that looks kind of like a squashed pencil shape...who knows, I just hope it looks good.

Earl Sleek said...

Bah, I bet "pencil point" just means something stupid like "looks like it was drawn with the pointy end of a pencil instead of the eraser end."

RudyKelly said...

I think it means it'll look like the KC Royals logo. More proof that the Kings will leave LA to move to Kansas City?????????????? Stay tuned.

Andrew Harkins said...

If it is "LA" inside a shield shape it would look a lot like the LA Galaxy (MLS) logo...I wonder if Anschutz or AEG had a say in it...

Earl Sleek said...

Kings will leave LA to move to Kansas City??????????????

Seriously, that seems out of left field, doesn't it?

And as much as it pains Kings fans to have other fanbases decide what trades would be "good for L.A.", how much worse is it when other fans try to comfort you with, "Don't worry, Kings fans. You'll still have the Ducks."

Andrew Harkins said...

oh please god not KC...I'm here in KC for the summer and while it's not a bad place, they can NOT take my team out of LA...but your comment makes me worry..

Kevin Y said...

Since the first report said it would "incorporate looks from the past", my guess as to the definition of "pencil-point" would be a logo resembling this one:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:LosAngelesKingsOld.png

Mike in OC said...

yup, I see the pencil. I'd say you solved it.