Takes and trash talk from both ALL sides of the NHL's most obscure PATHETIC* rivalry

* Thanks, Kevin Lowe!

Sunday, February 17, 2008

Ducks Gameday—On a personal note

Calgary Flames (29-21-8, t-7th in west) at Anaheim Ducks (32-23-7, 3rd in west)

A few items that don’t have that much to do with hockey:

  • First off, I want to wish my kid sister a happy birthday today, living the fast life in NYC. The odds that she sees this note are slim (she’s no hockey fan), but I know she’s name-dropped this blog before to Canadian guys while bar-hopping, so good work, sis!


  • In other non-hockey news, it’s actually a big week for me personally. After nearly seven years, this will be my last week with my current employer. It’s good news and bad news, probably, as the new job will eventually bring me back to Orange County and pay me more money for the NHL’s annual ticket increases. The bad news is that my old job really gave me a lot of leeway—my workday was finished very early and my boss lived halfway across the nation.

    I’m not really sure what the new job’s workload and hours will do to my blogging productivity; it’s entirely possible that I may start a search for another Duck voice on BoC within the next month to share the load. Nothing will be decided until I really get into that new job schedule and see what it's really like, but if you’re a Ducks fan who’d be interested in a BoC voice, you might want to start thinking about creating a submission and hoping my new boss works the hell out of me. Don’t worry if you can’t draw or crunch numbers or anything; this wouldn’t be about replacing Sleek so much as complementing Sleek, and you’ve seen our contributors' work. We’re all about variety.


  • I know a lot of Ducks fans will be rooting for Teemu Selanne to score a point tonight against the Flames (he is tied with Paul Kariya for the franchise scoring lead), but I’m not one of them. Why not? I snagged a pair of Row B seats for Wednesday’s game, and selfishly I think Anaheim's greater good needs to make room for my petty desire to see that achievement in person.


  • Lastly, if you start noticing a decline in the quality of my hand-drawn cartoons in the next couple of weeks, there’s a perfectly reasonable explanation: yesterday my roommate came home with Devil My Cry 4, and if any of you are familiar with that button-mashing gameplay, you’ll appreciate the cramping in my right hand this morning.
Prediction: Teemu values the greater good more than my personal schedule and takes the franchise scoring title to himself tonight. Ducks 4, Flames 2. Goals by Beauchemin, Sutherby, Pahlsson, and Selanne.

Go Ducks.

15 comments:

Kent W. said...

DMC might be the King of the button mashers. A friend of mine played one of the iterations years ago and discovered a third of the way into the game that all strategy could be forsaken in favor of ceaselessly jumping and shooting. Good times.

VeryProudofYa said...

ever since I got my hands on God of War, DMC has taken a backseat in the badass killathon genre for me.

A side note here: I was browsing hockeyfights.com and noticed with a bit of a raised eyebrow that the Ducks have had more fights will Calgary since '99 than any other team - with the kings being tied for third.

Here's hoping for a bit of fireworks.

Patty (in Dallas) said...

Congratulations on your new job, Sleek! Do you actually have to move to a new house? (My SoCal geography is not so great.)

Hopefully it won't cut into your more-important job too much. :D

Earl Sleek said...

I'm selling DMC4 short by calling it a button-masher, by the way. There is method to the madness, and it's a really fun game, but it sure involves a lot of aiming and a lot of pistol-firing. For a lot of the time.

Still, I think DMC3 had the most fun cutscenes in the business (but damn, that game was hard).

Do you actually have to move to a new house?

Eventually, yeah. It's not immediate, though. It's driveable, and I've got my folks and my brother living in the O.C. if I need a place to crash for a night.

Oh, and look. Another prediction comes true.

Anonymous said...

Congrats to you and the new job. Lucky you, moving to the big OC. I wish you all the luck in the world.

As far as games go, DMC4 looks really good. I never got a chance to play the Devil May Cry franchise, but maybe I'll start. Dante is one sexy beast.

I'm currently waiting for Super Smash Bros. Brawl to come out. I'll be wasting a lot of precious time on that game.

Lastly, it's starting to get eerie at how accurate your predictions are. Have fun at Wednesday's game. Hopefully they give you a better performance than they gave me Friday when I went.

Kent W. said...

Flames are becoing great slump busters. Uggghhhh.

And I gotta say, Corey Perry is a world class puke. And this is coming from a guy with Dion Phaneuf on his team. I understand why you probably like him, Earl...but, man, I'd really like to see him get railroaded by someone.

Bryan said...

Nice to catch Kipper on an off day. And to find a team that gets penalized more than the Ducks. Perry is an antagonizer and it worked last night. The night before it got Kunitz a 10 might misconduct. But I can understand why opponents would hate him. While I called for Bobby Ryan to be brought up to play on the 2nd line, putting Kunitz and Carter with Selanne worked well. Good show. Moen really got rocked by Iginla.

Earl Sleek said...

And I gotta say, Corey Perry is a world class puke.

Oh, I can't disagree with this. I'd hate the hell out of him if he were in any other team's uniform.

One other lesson on Perry--I've probably seen him fall in what looks like a serious injury what, 40 times? And he's never hurt. The one time he did end up getting hurt was when Pahlsson hit him in the Colorado series and it didn't look serious at all.

Some serious Ribiero in him, that one.

Kirsten said...

Congrats on the new job, Sleek, and good luck with your new job!

And I gotta say, Corey Perry is a world class puke. And this is coming from a guy with Dion Phaneuf on his team.


I say both of them are world class pukes...

Miss. Scarlett said...

Congrats on (finally) starting the new job.

I say both of them are world class pukes...

Hey now, at least Dion has that glass shattering charm of his.

RudyKelly said...

Wait, you might leave? What the hell am I supposed to do? People only read my crap because they don't realize it's not an Earl Sleek article until halfway down! I'm screwed!

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the new job Earl.

I like Carter on that 2nd line. kid's got good wheels.

initself said...

What are you going to be doing for work now, Sleek?

Earl Sleek said...

Well, my job description isn't changing very much. My day job is that of a data analyst, specializing in home insurance data. I won't bore the blog-reading crowd with it too much, but it does pay the ol' bills.

I like Carter on that 2nd line. kid's got good wheels.

Yeah, he's fitting in pretty well there. More importantly, I think, has been switching back Bertuzzi to the top line and reuniting Selanne with Kunitz. My main problem with having Selanne on a line with Weight and Bertuzzi is that those are two guys who 95% of the time will be passing the puck, and nobody's been utilizing space that Teemu creates.

Kunitz (and Carter) aren't trigger-shy like the other two, so I think they'll work better on a line with Teemu, and we've already seen how well Bertuzzi can ride along with Getzlaf-Perry.

Kirsten said...

I'm guessing I probably shouldn't submit an application to write for a Ducks blog, eh?

That job description explains where you come up with the awesome stat charts that you always seem to have.