Takes and trash talk from both ALL sides of the NHL's most obscure PATHETIC* rivalry

* Thanks, Kevin Lowe!

Saturday, August 23, 2008

Because there's nothing to do in August

Being that August is basically the biggest beating of the year for hockey fans, I thought I'd let people know that there's a demo of the other NHL video game NHL 2K9 (I feel bad for the Christmas shopping moms of hockey gamers: could there be two titles that are more similar???).

After playing around with it today, I'm glad that they've developed a rip-off of EA's innovative Skill Stick -- even if it was sort of a white flag. It works somewhat well, although I noticed that a lot of times I tried to shoot it would lock up until I could score a goal. This is good, but it doesn't match that "complete control" feel.

The other factors are big minuses: the graphics are, well, awkward; the speed burst is a stupid holdover that has been left in the dust by EA's absurdly awesome skating mechanics; the faceoff controls are just terrible.

Still, you cannot really mess up hockey and there's some fun to be had. You get to play one period of Pens-Red Wings in Detroit and the only difficulty level is incredibly low. A nice distraction in a month where hockey goes to die.

But I'd be shocked in NHL '09 doesn't absolutely blow it out of the water.

5 comments:

Alexander Dubcek said...

Ah, but the most important thing is that NHL 2K9 will be on the Wii, whereas NHL 09 won't, even though EA had said they'd fully support the console.

Anonymous said...

Funny how the world changes, 2K was unquestionably the title to have for five years, and now they probably can't hold a candle to EA for the second year in a row. Still, gotta love the competition, it has forced the EA team to get their heads out of their collective behinds and make real improvements.

Anonymous said...

I guess I need to get my 360 fixed...AGAIN!

Anonymous said...

Randy Hahn and Drew Remenda, the Sharks TV crew, are apparently the announcers in NHL 2K9. Hat tip to Plank at We Bleed Teal for that info, btw.

Doogie2K said...

Randy Hahn and Drew Remenda, the Sharks TV crew, are apparently the announcers in NHL 2K9.

I guess they needed somebody to replace Bob and Harry, especially with Jim Hughson already with EA.

I was a huge fan of the 2K games on the original Xbox, but now I don't know where to turn. Do I get 09 for the 360? 2K9 for the Wii? Both? Neither? Should I be asking this question before I've even decided if I'm buying a 360? Gah, decisions.